Determinant of a Finite Field 2x2 Matrix

In summary, in Z3, two numbers are equal if they differ by a multiple of 3. So, for example, 2-1=3*1.
rehcarlos

Homework Statement

Find the determinant of:
|1 1|
|2 1|

The field is Z3.

Homework Equations

The field is Z3, that is, to multiply two numbers, you first multiply then take the remainder of the division by 3.

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried:
( 1 x 1 ) - ( 1 x 2 )
1 x 1 will be: 1x1 = 1 => then get the remainder of the division by 3 that is 1
1 x 2 will be: 1 x 2 = 2 => then get the remainder of the division by 3 that is 2

So, the determinant would be 1 - 2 = -1 => then get the remainder of the division by 3 that is -1

But the answer is 2

Physics news on Phys.org
rehcarlos said:

Homework Statement

Find the determinant of:
|1 1|
|2 1|

The field is Z3.

Homework Equations

The field is Z3, that is, to multiply two numbers, you first multiply then take the remainder of the division by 3.

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried:
( 1 x 1 ) - ( 1 x 2 )
1 x 1 will be: 1x1 = 1 => then get the remainder of the division by 3 that is 1
1 x 2 will be: 1 x 2 = 2 => then get the remainder of the division by 3 that is 2

So, the determinant would be 1 - 2 = -1 => then get the remainder of the division by 3 that is -1

But the answer is 2

In Z3, -1=2. Any two numbers that differ by a multiple of 3 have the same remainder when divided by 3.

I know it may be simple, but I'm still confuse,

-1 divided by 3 has a remainder of -1
2 divided by 3 has a remainder of 2

So I don't get how they have the same remainder

rehcarlos said:
I know it may be simple, but I'm still confuse,

-1 divided by 3 has a remainder of -1
2 divided by 3 has a remainder of 2

So I don't get how they have the same remainder

To say Z3 is about 'remainders' isn't quite accurate. Two number are equal in Z3 if they differ by a multiple of 3. That's the sense in which they have the same remainder. 2-(-1)=3*1.

Ok then,

Thanks!

What is a determinant of a finite field 2x2 matrix?

The determinant of a finite field 2x2 matrix is a mathematical value that can be calculated from the elements of the matrix. It is used to determine properties of the matrix, such as whether it is invertible or singular.

How do you calculate the determinant of a finite field 2x2 matrix?

To calculate the determinant of a finite field 2x2 matrix, you must multiply the elements in the main diagonal (top left and bottom right) and subtract the product of the elements in the other diagonal (top right and bottom left). The resulting value is the determinant of the matrix.

What are the properties of a matrix with a determinant of 0?

If the determinant of a finite field 2x2 matrix is 0, the matrix is considered singular and does not have an inverse. This means that there is no solution to a system of equations represented by the matrix and it has a rank of less than 2.

Can the determinant of a finite field 2x2 matrix be negative?

Yes, the determinant of a finite field 2x2 matrix can be negative. The sign of the determinant is determined by the order of the elements in the matrix. If the order is reversed, the sign of the determinant will also be reversed.

How does the determinant of a finite field 2x2 matrix relate to linear independence?

The determinant of a finite field 2x2 matrix can be used to determine whether a set of vectors is linearly independent or not. If the determinant is 0, the vectors are linearly dependent, and if the determinant is non-zero, the vectors are linearly independent.