1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Determine bubble volume change with given temperature

1. Jul 13, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A 1-cm3 air bubble at a depth of 141 meters and at a temperature of 4 degrees Celsius rises to the surface of the lake where the temperature is 13.1 degrees Celsius, to the nearest tenth of a cm3, what is its new volume?

2. Relevant equations

P1V1/T1=P2V2/T2

3. The attempt at a solution

I have trying to use previous posts to help me, but I do not know where I am going wrong. I attempted using these numbers.

((1.013x105)+(1000x9.8x141)(1)(286.25))/(1.013x102)(277.15)

However, I don't know if I am supposed to use (1.013x105) or 1000 because they are not given in the original problem.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 13, 2014 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Please work with units, that makes things much easier. It looks like the brackets are wrong - something easy to spot if you work with units as they won't match there.

I guess the 102 in the denominator is a typo?

I think it does not matter which surface pressure you use, as long as you make it clear what you use. The effect is small and I guess for the rounded result both choices give the same value.

4. Jul 16, 2014 #3
    The P2 value is incorrect.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted