1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Determine Convergence or Divergence. If conv. find the sum:

1. May 5, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    ##\sum \dfrac {1+2^{n}} {3^{n}}##

According to Wolfram Alpha the sum is 5/2. But, I think that my method is fine and shows another result.

3. The attempt at a solution
    ##\sum \dfrac {1+2^{n}} {3^{n}}=\sum \left[ \left( \dfrac {1} {3}\right) ^{n}+\left( \dfrac {2} {3}\right) ^{n}\right]##

Now, by geometric series property and property of infinite series:
    ##\dfrac {1} {1-\dfrac {1} {3}}+\dfrac {1} {1-\dfrac {2} {3}}=\dfrac {3} {2}+3## =9/2 =4.5

Also, I found by the ratio test that it is absolutely convergent. (2/3) < 1

I don't know, why Wolfram Alpha shows that the final sum is 5/2.

Thank you.

Last edited: May 5, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. May 5, 2012 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You didn't show where the index of summation starts. Is it ##n=1## or ##n=0\ ##? It affects the first term and the sum.

4. May 5, 2012 #3
    Sorry, the sum goes from n=1 to infinity.

5. May 5, 2012 #4

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

So, does that answer your question?

6. May 5, 2012 #5
    Ok. I still don't see it.
    S1= 3/3 =1
    S2= 5/9
    S3=9/27
    S4=17/81

I just checked my textbook and Geometric series start from n=0. This is what you are referring to.
    Ok, so I cannot use the Geometric series method. How can I find a solution?

7. May 5, 2012 #6

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If the first term of a geometric series is ##a## and the common ration is ##r## then the sum of the series is ##\frac a {1-r}##. If you phrase it that way, it doesn't matter how it is indexed.

8. May 5, 2012 #7
    Ok. So, what you are saying is that my 1st term is equal to a. Then, a=1. I can't determine the ratio from the summation. Could you help?

I want to correct my previous statement for the sums:
    S1=1
    S2=1+5/9=14/9
    S3=(9/27)+14/9=51/27
    S4=17/81 +51/27 = 170/80
    . so on

9. May 5, 2012 #8
    Since the index starts at 1, that means the first terms of the series are 1/3 and 2/3 respectively. And with a representing the first term of each from what LCKurtz said,[tex]\sum^\infty_{n=1} \left[ \left( \dfrac {1} {3}\right) ^{n}+\left( \dfrac {2} {3}\right) ^{n}\right] = \dfrac {\frac{1}{3}} {1-\dfrac {1} {3}}+\dfrac {\frac{2}{3}} {1-\dfrac {2} {3}}[/tex]

10. May 5, 2012 #9
    Wow, so in this case. a is not only the coefficient, but also the ratio.

Ok, thank you. I like to understand.

11. May 5, 2012 #10

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Of course you can use the geometric series method; you just have to subtract the n=0 terms from what you wrote. That will give you the sum from n=1 to ∞. Alternatively, you can recognize that for |r| < 1 you have [itex] r + r^2 + r^3 + \cdots = r(1 +r + r^2 + \cdots),[/itex] and use your geometric sum result for the quantity in brackets.

RGV

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook