Determine Convergent or Divergent

In summary, the conversation discusses solving the limit of a sequence involving cosine functions. The solution involves using the squeeze theorem and evaluating the limit of 1/cos(1/n). The presence and rapid oscillation of sign changes in the sequence is noted as a potential complication.
e179285
an = [cos (3n) )] /n.cos(1/n) My solution is , I wrote an as

liman→∞ [cos (3n) )] /[ cos(1/n) / (1/n) ) .

We get liman→∞ cos(3n) / ( 1/0 ) .

I think solution of this limit is zero but ı'm not sure cos(3n) .I think cos(3n) as a number and number/infinity is zero .As a result of this ı say it is a convergent.

Is the correct approach to the question ?

Physics news on Phys.org
You know that cos n ≤ 1 for any n, so cos(3n) ≤ 1 and cos(3n)/n ≤ 1/n

For the denominator I wouldn't write it as cos(1/n) / (1/n). Try thinking of 1/(n·cos(1/n)) as (1/n)·(1/cos(1/n))

What's the limit of 1/cos(1/n) as n→∞?

Bohrok said:
You know that cos n ≤ 1 for any n, so cos(3n) ≤ 1 and cos(3n)/n ≤ 1/n

For the denominator I wouldn't write it as cos(1/n) / (1/n). Try thinking of 1/(n·cos(1/n)) as (1/n)·(1/cos(1/n))

What's the limit of 1/cos(1/n) as n→∞?

I don't think it is as simple as the OP indicates. Of course, for large n we can consider cos(1/n) to be essentially 1, so we almost have cos(3^n)/n --> 0. However, the sign changes due to cos(3^n) is very important; as n grows there is increasingly rapid oscillation in sign.

RGV

Last edited:
Use the squeeze theorem on [itex]\frac{\cos(3^n)}{n}[/itex], then evaluate [itex]\frac{1}{\cos(1/n)}[/itex]. Using the properties of limits: [itex]\lim (a.b)=\lim a . \lim b[/itex], you should get the answer.

sharks said:
Use the squeeze theorem on [itex]\frac{\cos(3^n)}{n}[/itex], then evaluate [itex]\frac{1}{\cos(1/n)}[/itex]. Using the properties of limits: [itex]\lim (a.b)=\lim a . \lim b[/itex], you should get the answer.

No, it won't. The series sum 1/n diverges, but the series sum (-1)^n/n converges, so the sign changes are vital. In the current problem there are rapid sign changes (due to oscillation in cos(3^n)), but it is not clear whether the series alternates in any sense (that is, with any kind of nice pattern). I really do believe the problem is non-trivial.

RGV

Ray Vickson said:
No, it won't. The series sum 1/n diverges, but the series sum (-1)^n/n converges, so the sign changes are vital. In the current problem there are rapid sign changes (due to oscillation in cos(3^n)), but it is not clear whether the series alternates in any sense (that is, with any kind of nice pattern). I really do believe the problem is non-trivial.

RGV

But the problem involves sequence [itex]a_n[/itex] not series.

sharks said:
But the problem involves sequence [itex]a_n[/itex] not series.

OK, then it's easy. I guess I thought the OP was doing what so many others have done, viz., saying sequence they mean series. I should just have taken him at his word.

RGV

Related to Determine Convergent or Divergent

1. What does it mean for a series to be convergent or divergent?

When a series is convergent, it means that the sum of all the terms in the series approaches a finite value as the number of terms increases. On the other hand, a divergent series is one in which the sum of terms does not approach a finite value.

2. How can I determine if a series is convergent or divergent?

There are several methods for determining the convergence or divergence of a series, including the comparison test, the ratio test, and the integral test. These methods involve evaluating the behavior of the series as the number of terms increases, and comparing it to known convergent or divergent series.

3. Why is it important to know if a series is convergent or divergent?

Knowing whether a series is convergent or divergent is important because it tells us whether the sum of all the terms in the series will approach a finite value or not. This information is crucial in many mathematical and scientific applications, such as in calculating probabilities and making predictions.

4. Can a series be both convergent and divergent?

No, a series cannot be both convergent and divergent. It can only be one or the other. If a series is convergent, it means that the sum of its terms approaches a finite value, while a divergent series does not have a finite sum.

5. Is there a simple way to determine the convergence or divergence of a series?

Unfortunately, there is no one simple method for determining the convergence or divergence of all series. Each series must be evaluated using different tests and techniques, and it often requires some mathematical knowledge and skill to determine the convergence or divergence of a series.