Determine how pressure,temperature and volume change

In summary, when heat is transferred to a liquid in a piston-cylinder system, the volume increases proportionally while pressure remains constant.
ahmedbadr
well,in closed system ,for example piston-cylinder system i can't determine how pressure,temperature and volume change to relating each other(in liquids and gases)?

iam confused abt that , i have some question abt that

when heat is transferred to the (liquid for example) so there is higher velocity of molecules(higher momentum) so it is suppoed that volume increases while pressure is constant my question here
(1)why volume increases? is that because when molecules have higher momentum so they can overcome intermolecular forces so distances between molecules increase so it starts to change its phase from liquid to vapor

if that correct so doesn't that affect preesure ?is there arelation between intermolecular forces and pressure??

Engineering news on Phys.org

ahmedbadr said:
well,in closed system ,for example piston-cylinder system i can't determine how pressure,temperature and volume change to relating each other(in liquids and gases)?

iam confused abt that , i have some question abt that

when heat is transferred to the (liquid for example) so there is higher velocity of molecules(higher momentum) so it is suppoed that volume increases while pressure is constant my question here
(1)why volume increases? is that because when molecules have higher momentum so they can overcome intermolecular forces so distances between molecules increase so it starts to change its phase from liquid to vapor

if that correct so doesn't that affect preesure ?is there arelation between intermolecular forces and pressure??

I believe the assumption you've overlooked is that in this type of piston cylinder system the piston is free to move. Thus as heat is added, the pressure increases just long enough to exert a force on the piston causing it to move. Since the piston has moved, the volume is increase proportionally and the pressure essentially remains constant.

Does that help?

CS

ok thanks for ur reply but i already know that can happen in gases but iam talking particularly abt liquid in piston-cylinder system ,ok let me ask u question if there is amount of compressed or subcooled water in the cylinder and we fix the volume if there is heat transfer to the water what will happen?
does its pressure will rise?
and if we still add heat is there a possibility that this water starts to evaporize?
or not beacuse vapour means larger volume and volume here is fixed?

ahmedbadr said:
ok thanks for ur reply but i already know that can happen in gases but iam talking particularly abt liquid in piston-cylinder system ,ok let me ask u question if there is amount of compressed or subcooled water in the cylinder and we fix the volume if there is heat transfer to the water what will happen?
does its pressure will rise?
and if we still add heat is there a possibility that this water starts to evaporize?
or not beacuse vapour means larger volume and volume here is fixed?

Yes the pressure will rise as heat is added, as well as the temperature of the compressed liquid.

The compressed liquid will transition to a saturated mixture as heat is added and then to a superheated vapor as more heat is added. The transition points would depend on the mass of the compressed liquid and the volume of the rigid container.

For example, if you have 1 ft^3\lbm of water initially at 40 deg F and 0.12173 psia in a rigid container (i.e. constant volume) and add heat to it, the temperature and pressure will rise. Once the temperature of the water hits 459.50 deg F the pressure will be 464.46 psia and the water will be in the superheated vapor region.

CS

well,iam afraid u need to review t-v diagram ,u say compressed water will transit to saturated mixture?how that?if it transits so sure its volume would increase but it's supposed constant volume??

ahmedbadr said:
well,iam afraid u need to review t-v diagram ,u say compressed water will transit to saturated mixture?how that?if it transits so sure its volume would increase but it's supposed constant volume??

Actually I didn’t check the quality at state 1 in the example I gave (it was really low 0.0004). I assumed it was 0 instead, so it was incorrect for me to say it would transition from a compressed liquid to a saturated mixture since it was already a saturated mixture.

If you have a compressed liquid (0 quality) and hold the specific volume constant and heat it, you’ll just end up with pressurized hot water. If it is a saturated mixture (quality is greater than 0 and less than 1), depending on the initial specific volume, it may transition to a compress liquid or a superheated vapor when heat is added (see attachment).

I’ve attached a file output from REFPROP (a program by NIST) that shows the two different phase changes depending on initial specific volume. It shows essentially the same thing that a T-v diagram shows but instead gives the actual values.

Hope this helps.

CS

Attachments

• water phase transition.JPG
    water phase transition.JPG
    124.3 KB · Views: 527

ok iam really confused abt the relations between pressure,temperature and volume esprcially in liquid?for example for compressed water in piston cylinder system when pressure is decreased temperature is also decreased ??i can't get why temperature decreased?

ahmedbadr said:
ok iam really confused abt the relations between pressure,temperature and volume esprcially in liquid?for example for compressed water in piston cylinder system when pressure is decreased temperature is also decreased ??i can't get why temperature decreased?

A compressed fluid in a piston-cylinder won’t necessarily lose pressure. If the piston is allowed to move as a result of the pressure in the cylinder acting on it, then the temperature will drop due to boundary work being done by the system. This is due to the First Law of Thermodynamics:

[tex]Q_{net} - W_{net} = \Delta{U}[/tex]

(for a simple compressible system)

It is best to describe the system in as much detail as possible so you can know what assumptions to make. For example, whether or not it is adiabatic, deciding to ignore potential and kinetic energy changes, etc.

CS

stewartcs said:
Yes the pressure will rise as heat is added, as well as the temperature of the compressed liquid.

The compressed liquid will transition to a saturated mixture as heat is added and then to a superheated vapor as more heat is added. The transition points would depend on the mass of the compressed liquid and the volume of the rigid container.

For example, if you have 1 ft^3\lbm of water initially at 40 deg F and 0.12173 psia in a rigid container (i.e. constant volume) and add heat to it, the temperature and pressure will rise. Once the temperature of the water hits 459.50 deg F the pressure will be 464.46 psia and the water will be in the superheated vapor region.

CS

Hi, sorry to bring this question up again, i know it has been a long time, but i kind of have the same problem with this, could you please help me again?

my question is, when i have a rigid closed system of water let's say in amount of 500mL and then i heat it up until 600C which is way pass the saturation vapor stage, and i want to find the pressure, so how should i calculate it, since when i look at the phase diagram, the phase that exist in that temperature is superheated region, and when i check the superheated table, the value is vary with the pressure and temperature relationship, so there different value of temperature with 0.1MPa, 0.2MPa, 1MPa pressure. so how should i find the right pressure inside the vessel after i heat it up until 600C?

Thank you

What is pressure?

Pressure is the force exerted by a substance on its surroundings, typically measured in units of force per unit area (such as pounds per square inch or pascals).

How does temperature affect pressure?

According to Charles's Law, as the temperature of a gas increases, its particles move faster and collide with the container walls more frequently, resulting in an increase in pressure.

What is the relationship between pressure and volume?

Boyle's Law states that as the volume of a gas decreases, the pressure increases, and vice versa, assuming a constant temperature and number of particles.

How do changes in temperature and volume affect pressure?

When temperature and volume both change, the pressure will also change. This can be explained by the combined gas law, which states that pressure is directly proportional to temperature and inversely proportional to volume.

How can pressure, temperature, and volume be measured and calculated?

Pressure can be measured using a barometer or manometer, temperature can be measured using a thermometer, and volume can be measured using a graduated cylinder or other volumetric tools. These values can also be calculated using mathematical equations such as the ideal gas law.