Determine the centripetal force

In summary, in this conversation, the speaker is trying to determine the centripetal force and the force exerted by the standard kilogram on a spring balance at the equator, taking into account the Earth's rotation. They know the radius and velocity of the Earth's rotation, but are unsure of how to calculate the mass needed for the equations.
xxgaxx

Homework Statement

Assume that the standard kilogram would weigh exactly 9.8 N at sea level on the Earth's equator if the Earth did not revolve about its axis. then take into account the fact that the Earth does rotate so that this mass moves in a circle of radius of 6.4 * 10^6 meters at a constant speed of 465 meters/sec. a) determine the centripetal force needed to keep the standard moving in its circular path. and b) determine the force exerted by the standard kilogram on a spring balance from which it is suspended at the equator. (e.g. its weight)

known: r=6.4 * 10^6 m, v=465 m/s

Homework Equations

a=v^2/r
F=ma
I don't know part b

The Attempt at a Solution

a) a=v^2/r=(465 m/s)^2/ (6.4 * 10^6 m)=0.033785 m/s^2
F=ma=(i don't know what m is?) (0.033785 m/s^2)
b) please help me i don't know where to start.

Physics news on Phys.org
You don't know what the mass of something that's being used as the standard for the kilogram is?

what would i use for my value of m?

1. What is centripetal force?

Centripetal force is the force that keeps an object moving in a circular path. It is always directed towards the center of the circle and is responsible for changing the direction of an object's velocity.

2. How is centripetal force calculated?

The formula for calculating centripetal force is Fc = (mv^2)/r, where Fc is the centripetal force, m is the mass of the object, v is its velocity, and r is the radius of the circular path.

3. What factors affect the strength of centripetal force?

The strength of centripetal force is affected by the mass of the object, its velocity, and the radius of the circular path. The greater these values are, the stronger the centripetal force will be.

4. How is centripetal force related to centripetal acceleration?

Centripetal force and centripetal acceleration are directly proportional to each other. This means that as the centripetal force increases, so does the acceleration of the object. Similarly, a decrease in centripetal force will result in a decrease in acceleration.

5. What are some real-life examples of centripetal force?

Some common examples of centripetal force in everyday life include the rotation of the Earth around the Sun, the motion of a car around a curved road, and the spinning of a ball on a string. Roller coasters and merry-go-rounds also rely on centripetal force to keep riders moving in a circular path.