Determine the distance between the following points and lines

In summary, the conversation is about a graph and different methods used to find a certain value. One person mentions getting 13.6, while the other gets 6.8. They then discuss a graph that was incorrect and the correct answer should be 21/√29.
ttpp1124
Homework Statement
Determine the distance between the following points and lines
I tried it; can someone confirm?
Relevant Equations
n/a
IMG_3624.jpg

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Have you drawn a graph? 13.6 looks quite a bit too big. I get about 6.8 with a different method.
Edit: See below.

Last edited:
Likes archaic
Have a look at this graph:
Capture.PNG
I have got what LCKurtz have found, exactly ##\frac{37}{\sqrt{29}}##.

Last edited:
Likes ttpp1124
Your graph is incorrect. The y intercept should be positive and the x intercept negative. And my answer (posting when tired) in post #1 (and yours) is incorrect . The correct answer should be ##\frac {21}{\sqrt{29}}##.

LCKurtz said:
Your graph is incorrect. The y intercept should be positive and the x intercept negative. And my answer (posting when tired) in post #1 (and yours) is incorrect . The correct answer should be ##\frac {21}{\sqrt{29}}##.
Ugh, a sign mistake. 👍
Capture.PNG

1. What is the formula for determining the distance between a point and a line?

The formula for determining the distance between a point and a line is the perpendicular distance formula, which is given by d = |ax + by + c| / √(a^2 + b^2), where a, b, and c are the coefficients of the line's equation and x and y are the coordinates of the point.

2. Can the distance between a point and a line be negative?

No, the distance between a point and a line cannot be negative. The distance is always measured as a positive value.

3. How do you find the shortest distance between a point and a line?

The shortest distance between a point and a line is found by drawing a perpendicular line from the point to the line. The length of this perpendicular line is the shortest distance between the point and the line.

4. What is the significance of determining the distance between a point and a line?

Determining the distance between a point and a line is important in various fields of science, such as physics and engineering. It helps in calculating the shortest distance between an object and a line, which is useful in designing structures and predicting the motion of objects.

5. Can the distance between a point and a line be greater than the length of the line?

Yes, the distance between a point and a line can be greater than the length of the line. This can occur when the point is not between the endpoints of the line and the perpendicular line drawn from the point intersects the line outside of the line segment.