Determine the equation of the conic section

• Thread starter Feodalherren
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Section
Once you do, you can substitute them into the equation for the foci, and then use the distance formula to solve for c.
Feodalherren

Homework Statement

Asymptotes at y=±[itex]\sqrt{10}[/itex] x /5

Foci: (±[itex]\sqrt{7}[/itex],0)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

It's obviously a hyperbola. What I can't wrap my head around is why a^2 + b^2 ≠ c^2

c = sqrt 7 ; correct?

This yields
7=25+10
obviously NOT true. What am I missing here?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Feodalherren said:

Homework Statement

Asymptotes at y=±[itex]\sqrt{10}[/itex] x /5

Foci: (±[itex]\sqrt{7}[/itex],0)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

It's obviously a hyperbola. What I can't wrap my head around is why a^2 + b^2 ≠ c^2
Feodalherren said:
c = sqrt 7 ; correct?
No. c = √7.

You know that a2 + b2 = 7.

If one vertex is at (a, 0), use the slope of the asymptote to write b in terms of a, and then solve for a. You should find that a < c.

Feodalherren said:
This yields
7=25+10
obviously NOT true. What am I missing here?

Sorry I meant c^2 = 7.

Still. The asymptotes of a hyperbola that shoots of in the x direction is positive and negative a/b.

I don't get this at all.

Feodalherren said:
Sorry I meant c^2 = 7.

Still. The asymptotes of a hyperbola that shoots of in the x direction is positive and negative a/b.

I don't get this at all.

If the hyperbola's vertices are at (±a, 0), the asymptotes are given by y = ±(b/a)x. What are the coordinates of the point on the line y = (b/a)x at which x = a? You are given the slope of the asymptotes, and you also know that a2 + b2 = 7.

You have two equations that involve a and b, so you should be able to solve for these variables.

What is a conic section and why is it important?

A conic section is a curve formed by the intersection of a plane and a cone. It is important because it has many practical applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering, such as in the study of orbits, reflection and refraction of light, and the design of structures and machines.

What are the different types of conic sections?

The four main types of conic sections are the circle, ellipse, parabola, and hyperbola. These are distinguished by their shapes and mathematical equations.

How do you determine the equation of a conic section?

The equation of a conic section depends on its type and the specific characteristics of the curve. For example, the equation of a circle is (x-h)^2 + (y-k)^2 = r^2, where (h,k) is the center of the circle and r is the radius. The equation of an ellipse is (x-h)^2/a^2 + (y-k)^2/b^2 = 1, where (h,k) is the center of the ellipse and a and b are the semi-major and semi-minor axes. The equations for a parabola and hyperbola are more complex and involve parameters such as the distance from the focus and the slope of the directrix.

What are some real-world examples of conic sections?

Conic sections can be found in many natural and man-made objects and phenomena. Some examples include the orbits of planets and satellites, the shape of car headlights and satellite dishes, the path of a thrown ball, and the cross-section of a tree trunk or a seashell.

Why is it useful to know the equation of a conic section?

Knowing the equation of a conic section can help us understand and analyze its properties and behavior. This information can be used in various fields, such as astronomy, engineering, and architecture, to design and optimize structures and systems. It also allows us to make predictions and solve problems involving conic sections.