Determine the Orbital Radius of a planet

In summary, the conversation involves someone seeking help with a question about determining the orbital radius of two extrasolar planets, X and Y, in two separate solar systems. The properties of the planets and their orbits are provided, and the person asks for an equation to solve the problem. Someone suggests using the definition of centre of mass and provides an equation for the centre of mass of a system consisting of two masses. The conversation ends with the person asking if this equation is correct and the other person offering further clarification.
damaged goods
I've been working on this for five hours and I am on the verge of despair!

Can anybody help with this question? All I need is an equation!

There are two extrasolar planets (X and Y) that are orbiting two stars with the same mass as our Sun (1.9891 × 10^30 kg), i.e. the planets are in two separate solar systems. For the purposes of this question, you should assume that there are no other planets in either system and that both stars are at a distance of around 1000 pc from Earth.

Properties of extrasolar planets X and Y:

Planet Mass/ME *Note: ME is the mass of the Earth (5.974 × 10^24 kg)*
Planet X = 12
Planet Y = 150

Radius of star’s orbit from centre of mass of the system/km
Planet X = 2×10^4
Planet Y = 2×10^3

Orientation of the system
Planet X = face-on
Planet Y = edge-on

Question:
Determine the orbital radius for each extrasolar planet X and Y. You should state your answer in astronomical units (AU).

Can anybody provide an equation that I can use to figure this out?

Many thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Try starting with the definition of centre of mass. Can you write out the equation for the centre of mass of a system consisting of two masses?

AM

Hi Andrew, is this the equation that you mean?:

r1 = a • m2/m1+m2 = a/1 + m1/m2

where:
a is the distance between the centers of the two bodies;
m1 and m2 are the masses of the two bodies.
r1 is essentially the semi-major axis of the primary's orbit around the barycenter

Thanks

damaged goods said:
Hi Andrew, is this the equation that you mean?:

r1 = a • m2/m1+m2 = a/1 + m1/m2

where:
a is the distance between the centers of the two bodies;
m1 and m2 are the masses of the two bodies.
r1 is essentially the semi-major axis of the primary's orbit around the barycenter

Thanks
The centre of mass of a two mass system is the point r on a line between the centres of the two masses such that:

the displacement from r to mass 1 x mass1 + the displacement from r to mass 2 x mass 2 = 0. For the centre of mass:

[tex]\sum m_i\vec{r}_i = 0[/tex]

Work that out for each star/planet system using the figures given. I think you are supposed to assume a circular orbit.

AM

Trouble with the ECA as well?

1. How is the orbital radius of a planet determined?

The orbital radius of a planet is determined by measuring the distance from the planet to its parent star. This can be done using telescopes or spacecraft, and the data is then analyzed to calculate the exact orbital radius.

2. What factors influence the orbital radius of a planet?

The main factors that influence the orbital radius of a planet are the mass and gravitational pull of the parent star, as well as the initial conditions of the planet's formation. Other factors such as the presence of other planets in the system can also play a role.

3. How accurate are the orbital radius calculations?

The accuracy of orbital radius calculations depends on the precision of the measurements and the quality of the data used. With advanced technology and techniques, scientists are able to calculate orbital radii to a high degree of accuracy.

4. Can the orbital radius of a planet change over time?

Yes, the orbital radius of a planet can change over time due to various factors such as gravitational interactions with other objects in the system, tidal forces, and changes in the parent star's mass or orbit. However, these changes are usually small and occur over long periods of time.

5. Is the orbital radius of a planet the same as its distance from the sun?

No, the orbital radius of a planet is not necessarily the same as its distance from the sun. The orbital radius is the distance from the planet to its parent star at a specific point in its orbit, while the distance from the sun is the average distance between the planet and the sun over its entire orbit.