Determining angle alpha with an elastic rope and a mass hanging from the rope.

In summary, The problem involves finding the angles (theta) for answering part a, given the Young's modulus for the nylon rope (5x109 N/M2 in the book). The problem also includes determining the tension in the rope, which can be calculated using Hooke's Law and Newton's second law. The force exerted by a stretched or compressed material can be found using Young's modulus and the change in length of the material. However, the professor has changed the problem to include the vertical distance the rope sags after loading and reaching equilibrium, making it a different problem altogether.
blueboy499

Homework Statement

I am confused on how to begin finding the angles (theta) for answering part a?

Problem1.png

Physics news on Phys.org
blueboy499 said:

Homework Statement

I am confused on how to begin finding the angles (theta) for answering part a?

Problem1.png

Are you given the Young's modulus for the nylon rope?

In the book, it is given as 5x109 N/M2. But this problem is not out of the book, so it's a bit of a stretch.

blueboy499 said:
In the book, it is given as 5x109 N/M2. But this problem is not out of the book, so it's a bit of a stretch.

"Stretch". Heh. Good one :smile:

You'll need some way to determine the tension in the rope, so presumably Young's modulus would help. How does the Young's modulus for a material relate to Hooke's Law?

The change in the length of the material = ((tensile stress)/(young's modulus))(final length of the material).

But the stress = force/area and since I'm not given the force or the angles or enough other geometric values, how can I solve for this?

jhae2.718 said:
If you use Newton's second law, you'll get two scalar equations, and you'll have two unknowns*...

*Assuming the system is in static equilibrium.

So then what do you do with those 2 unknowns?

blueboy499 said:
So then what do you do with those 2 unknowns?

Never mind; the [itex]x[/itex] equation is useless; it just states that the tensions are the same. At first glance it looks like the problem is statically indeterminate.

Last edited:
blueboy499 said:
The change in the length of the material = ((tensile stress)/(young's modulus))(final length of the material).

But the stress = force/area and since I'm not given the force or the angles or enough other geometric values, how can I solve for this?

You've got the radius of the rope's cross section and the initial length of the segments. You've got the Young's modulus. You should be able to determine how much the rope segments stretch w.r.t. the angle, and thus the tension for any angle.

"w.r.t."?

blueboy499 said:
"w.r.t."?

w.r.t. : Abbreviation; "with respect to".

The way I still see it, I still don't have: the force for the F/A = tensile stress, the final length of the rope, and the change in length of the rope. Am I missing something here, or is there some other method we should be going about this?

blueboy499 said:
The way I still see it, I still don't have: the force for the F/A = tensile stress, the final length of the rope, and the change in length of the rope. Am I missing something here, or is there some other method we should be going about this?

Young's modulus should give you an effective "spring constant" for the rope. Take a look at the Wikipedia article on Young's Modulus, at the section "Force exerted by a stretched or compressed material".

gneill said:
Young's modulus should give you an effective "spring constant" for the rope. Take a look at the Wikipedia article on Young's Modulus, at the section "Force exerted by a stretched or compressed material".

Each of those stated equations require knowing the change in length to calculate the force.

blueboy499 said:
Each of those stated equations require knowing the change in length to calculate the force.

You're looking at the problem backwards :smile: You want to have an expression for the force in terms of the angle, and then determine the angle at which the block is balanced by the resulting tensions.

Which component of the rope tensions should you be concerned about?

Thank you for all of your help, but I only just now discovered that the professor changed the problem to include the vertical distance the rope sags after loading and reaching equilibrium. I should be able to figure it out from here. Thanks again! :)

Last edited:
blueboy499 said:
Thank you for all of your help, but I only just now discovered that the professor changed the problem to include the vertical distance the rope sags after loading and reaching equilibrium. I should be able to figure it out from here. Thanks again! :)

Ah, well that makes it an entirely different problem then! No need to consider the stretching of the rope in that case. Good Luck!

What is angle alpha?

Angle alpha is the angle formed between the elastic rope and the horizontal surface.

How do you determine angle alpha?

Angle alpha can be determined by measuring the length of the elastic rope and the distance between the mass and the pivot point, and then using trigonometric functions to calculate the angle.

What is the purpose of using an elastic rope?

The elastic rope allows for the mass to move freely and follow the laws of physics, making it easier to accurately measure and calculate the angle alpha.

Why is a mass necessary for determining angle alpha?

The mass provides tension in the elastic rope and allows for the creation of an angle between the rope and the horizontal surface.

What factors may affect the accuracy of determining angle alpha?

The accuracy of determining angle alpha may be affected by factors such as the precision of measurements, the elasticity of the rope, and external forces such as wind or vibrations.