Determining continuity of a function

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of continuity of functions and how to determine it. The definition of continuity is clarified and examples are provided to demonstrate how to prove continuity at a point. The conversation also addresses the difficulty of determining continuity at problem points and suggests using one-sided limits to prove it.
sitia

Homework Statement

Hi everyone,
I'm kind of struggling with determining continuity of functions.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

For example, f(x)=|x-1| I know is continuous on ℝ but how do I show this clearly. I my head, I just think that the function is valid for any value of x and so it is continuous. However, I'm not sure of a way to show my work for that.

But how do I determine continuity for the following?

f(x) = {x^2sin(1/x) if x≠0 and 0 if x=0

Thanks for any help!

Physics news on Phys.org
sitia said:

Homework Statement

Hi everyone,

Homework Equations

For example, f(x)=|x-1| I know is continuous on ℝ but how do I show this clearly. I my head, I just think that the function is valid for any value of x and so it is continuous. However, I'm not sure of a way to show my work for that. The first problem is similar with the difficulty occurring at ##x=1##.

Thanks for any help!

Generally speaking on these types of problems, you can use the continuity theorems for most values of x. For example sums, products, quotients, and compositions of continuous functions are continuous. That takes care of every value of x except x = 0 in your second example. To finish it you just have to show it is continuous at 0. So show$$
\lim_{x\rightarrow 0}x^2\sin{\frac 1 x}=0$$which is the value of f(0). Your first problem is similar with the problem point being x=1.

Why is x=1 a problem point? Cant we have a equal to 0 for f(x)?

sitia said:
Why is x=1 a problem point? Cant we have a equal to 0 for f(x)?
Merely being able to assign a value for every x doesn't make f(x) continuous. Continuity at x=x0 means, crudely, that, for values of x nearby x0, f(x) is guaranteed to be close to f(x0).
Consider the function f(x) = sin(1/x) for x ≠ 0, f(0) = α.
Note that this cannot be continuous no matter how you choose α. No matter how close you get to 0 the value of the function continues to oscillate between 1 and -1. But for g(x) = x2 sin(1/x) (x≠0) we can choose to define g(0)=0 and find that it is now continuous.
For the function |x-1|, x = 1 is only a problem point in the sense that the proof of continuity there will be different from the proof at other points of the line.

sitia said:

Homework Statement

Hi everyone,

Homework Equations

For example, f(x)=|x-1| I know is continuous on ℝ but how do I show this clearly. I my head, I just think that the function is valid for any value of x and so it is continuous.
Then your basic problem is that you don't know what "continuous" means! I think you will find it impossible to prove "continuous" if you do not know the precise definition of "continuous".

It does NOT mean "the function is valid for any value of x"- that's only a part of the definition. "f is continuous at x= a" means rather that
1) The function is defined at the point ("valid" in your terms)
2) The limit, [itex]\lim_{x\to a} f(x)[/itex] exist
3) They are equal: [itex]\lim_{x\to a} f(x)= f(z)[/itex]

Since the last certainly implies that the two sides of the equation exist, it is sufficient to just think of the third condition.

Now, LCKurtz says that the "problem point" is x= 1 because for x> 1, |x- 1|= x- 1 which is very easy and for x< 1, |x- 1|= 1- x which is also very easy. For x= 1, you would need to to look at both x< 1 and x> 1 and so need to look at the "one-sided limits".

[itex]\lim_{x\to 1^+}|x- 1|= \lim_{x\to 1} x- 1[/itex] and [itex]\lim_{x\to 1^-}|x- 1|= \lim_{x\to 1} 1- x[/itex]. What are those two one-sided limits? Are they the same (so that the limit itself exist)? If they are the same is that limit the same as the value of the function at x= 1?

However, I'm not sure of a way to show my work for that.

Thanks for any help!

Related to Determining continuity of a function

1) What is the definition of continuity of a function?

The definition of continuity of a function is that the function has no abrupt changes or interruptions in its graph. This means that the graph of the function can be drawn without lifting the pen or pencil from the paper.

2) How is continuity of a function determined?

To determine the continuity of a function, we look at three main criteria: 1) the function is defined at the point being evaluated, 2) the limit of the function exists at that point, and 3) the limit and the value of the function at that point are equal.

3) What is the importance of continuity in mathematics?

Continuity is important in mathematics because it allows us to make predictions and analyze the behavior of functions. It also helps us to understand the relationship between different functions and how they behave at specific points.

4) What are some examples of functions that are not continuous?

Some examples of functions that are not continuous include functions with jump discontinuities, like the step function, and functions with infinite discontinuities, like the tangent function at certain points. Piecewise functions can also be discontinuous at the points where the pieces connect.

5) How can we test for continuity at a specific point?

To test for continuity at a specific point, we can use the three criteria mentioned earlier: 1) evaluate the function at the point, 2) find the limit of the function at that point, and 3) compare the value and limit. If they are equal, the function is continuous at that point. We can also use graphical tools, such as a graphing calculator, to visualize the function and look for any abrupt changes or breaks in the graph.