Determining Coordinates - lines and planes

In summary, to determine if the solution set is a single point, you should plug the answers into the original equations and check if they satisfy all the equations. If there is enough information to get one specific value for each variable, the solution set is a single point. Otherwise, there will be more than one point in the solution set and the final answer will have one or more variables in terms of the others, preventing further progress.
ttpp1124
Homework Statement
Use normal vectors to determine the intersection, if any, for each of the following groups of three planes. Give a geometric interpretation in each case and the number of solutions for the corresponding linear system of equations. If the planes intersect in a line, determine a vector equation of the line. If the planes intersect in a point, determine the coordinates of the point.

I solved it, I just need someone to check my work. Thanks in advance!
Relevant Equations
n/a
IMG_3633.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
You should plug the answers you got into the original equations and see if they satisfy all the equations.

FactChecker said:
You should plug the answers you got into the original equations and see if they satisfy all the equations.
Just did, and I got my desired outcome. Thanks!

To conclude that the solution set is a single point, you should notice that there was enough information to get one specific value for each variable. If there are more than one point in the solution set, your final answer will have one (or more) variable in terms of the others and you will not be able to go further.

1. What is the purpose of determining coordinates for lines and planes?

The purpose of determining coordinates for lines and planes is to accurately describe their position and orientation in space. This is important in various fields such as mathematics, engineering, and physics.

2. How do you determine the coordinates of a point on a line?

To determine the coordinates of a point on a line, you need to know the slope of the line and the coordinates of another point on the line. Using the slope-intercept form of a line (y = mx + b), you can plug in the known values and solve for the unknown coordinate.

3. What is the formula for finding the distance between two points on a plane?

The formula for finding the distance between two points on a plane is the Pythagorean theorem: d = √((x2-x1)^2 + (y2-y1)^2), where (x1,y1) and (x2,y2) are the coordinates of the two points.

4. How do you determine the equation of a plane?

To determine the equation of a plane, you need to know the coordinates of three non-collinear points on the plane. Using these points, you can set up a system of equations and solve for the coefficients of the equation, which will be in the form of ax + by + cz = d.

5. Can you determine the coordinates of a point on a plane using only two points?

No, you cannot determine the coordinates of a point on a plane using only two points. This is because there are an infinite number of planes that can pass through two given points, so you need a third point to uniquely define the plane.