Determining Eigenfunction of Operator

No matter what x and y are?No. That would not be true. Sorry. In summary, the problem is looking for a constant c that will make the function \psi_{c}(x,y,z) = x^{2}+cy^{2} an eigenfunction of the operator \hat{L_{z}}. After rearranging, it is found that the operator applied to the function is equal to zero. This means that the function is an eigenfunction with eigenvalue \lambda = 0. If \lambda \neq 0, there are no values of c that will satisfy the eigenvalue equation for all values of x and y. Therefore, the only value of c that makes \psi an eigenfunction
Hart

Homework Statement

Determing the constant c such that [tex]\psi_{c}(x,y,z) = x^{2}+cy^{2}[/tex] is an eigenfunction of [tex]\hat{L_{z}}[/tex]

Homework Equations

[tex]\hat{L_{z}} = -i \hbar (x\frac{\partial \psi}{\partial y} - y\frac{\partial \psi}{\partial x}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]x\frac{\partial \psi}{\partial y} - y\frac{\partial \psi}{\partial x}) = 2x^{2}-2y^{2}c[/tex]

Therefore:

[tex]\hat{L_{z}} \psi = -i \hbar (2x^{2}-2y^{2}c) = -2i \hbar (x^{2}-y^{2}c)[/tex]

.. and now I'm stuck. :|

Physics news on Phys.org
Hart said:

Homework Statement

Determing the constant c such that [tex]\psi_{c}(x,y,z) = x^{2}+cy^{2}[/tex] is an eigenfunction of [tex]\hat{L_{z}}[/tex]

Homework Equations

[tex]\hat{L_{z}} = -i \hbar (x\frac{\partial \psi}{\partial y} - y\frac{\partial \psi}{\partial x})[/tex]

You need to pay more attention to your notation. You can either say,

[tex]\hat{L_{z}}\psi(x,y,z)= -i \hbar \left(x\frac{\partial \psi}{\partial y} - y\frac{\partial \psi}{\partial x}\right)[/tex]

or

[tex]\hat{L_{z}} \longrightarrow -i \hbar \left(x\frac{\partial}{\partial y} - y\frac{\partial}{\partial x}\right)[/tex]

But you can't equate an abstract differential operator to a scalar function like you did above

[tex]x\frac{\partial \psi}{\partial y} - y\frac{\partial \psi}{\partial x} = 2x^{2}-2y^{2}c[/tex]

You need to double check this. :wink:

I was meant to state this:

[tex]\hat{L_{z}}\psi(x,y,z)= -i \hbar \left(x\frac{\partial \psi}{\partial y} - y\frac{\partial \psi}{\partial x}\right)= -i \hbar (2x^{2}-2y^{2}c) = -2i \hbar (x^{2}-y^{2}c)[/tex]

[/tex]

I don't know how to rearrange that the find the value of C.

Hart said:
I was meant to state this:

[tex]\hat{L_{z}}\psi(x,y,z)= -i \hbar \left(x\frac{\partial \psi}{\partial y} - y\frac{\partial \psi}{\partial x}\right)= -i \hbar (2x^{2}-2y^{2}c) = -2i \hbar (x^{2}-y^{2}c)[/tex]

I don't know how to rearrange that the find the value of C.

[tex]\left(x\frac{\partial \psi}{\partial y} - y\frac{\partial \psi}{\partial x}\right)\neq (2x^{2}-2y^{2}c) [/tex]

Recheck your calculation.

I have:

[tex]

(x\frac{\partial \psi}{\partial y}) = x(2cy) = 2cxy

[/tex]

and:

[tex]

(y\frac{\partial \psi}{\partial x}) = y(2x + c) = 2cxy

[/tex]

so:

[tex]

\hat{L_{z}}\psi(x,y,z)

= -i \hbar \left(x\frac{\partial \psi}{\partial y} - y\frac{\partial \psi}{\partial x}\right)

= -i \hbar (2cxy - 2cxy)

= 0

[/tex]

?

Hart said:
[tex]

(y\frac{\partial \psi}{\partial x}) = y(2x + c) = 2cxy

[/tex]

Where's the [itex]c[/itex] in this part coming from?

[tex]\frac{\partial\psi}{\partial x}=\frac{\partial}{\partial x}\left(x^2+cy^2\right)=2x[/itex]

It should be:

[tex](y\frac{\partial \psi}{\partial x}) = y(2x + 0) = 2xy[/tex]

then.

Ok, so:

[tex]\hat{L_{z}}\psi(x,y,z)= -i \hbar \left(x\frac{\partial \psi}{\partial y} - y\frac{\partial \psi}{\partial x}\right)= -i \hbar (2cxy - 2xy)= -2i \hbar xy(c-1)[/tex] ??

Hart said:
Ok, so:

[tex]\hat{L_{z}}\psi(x,y,z)= -i \hbar \left(x\frac{\partial \psi}{\partial y} - y\frac{\partial \psi}{\partial x}\right)= -i \hbar (2cxy - 2xy)= -2i \hbar xy(c-1)[/tex] ??

Yup, so if [itex]\psi[/itex] is an eigenfunction of [tex]\hat{L}_z[/itex], what equation must be true?

[tex]\lambda = \frac{-2i \hbar xy(c-1)}{x^{2}+cy^{2}}?[/tex]

Hart said:
[tex]\lambda = \frac{-2i \hbar xy(c-1)}{x^{2}+cy^{2}}?[/tex]

Sure, but I'd write this as

[tex]\lambda\left(x^2+cy^2\right)=-2i \hbar xy(c-1)[/itex]

At first, it may not look like there are any values of [itex]c[/itex] that will make this true for all [itex]x[/itex] and [itex]y[/itex], but what if [itex]\lambda=0[/itex]?

[tex]\lambda\left(\psi_{c}\right)=-2i \hbar xy(c-1)[/tex]

It would be true if [tex]\lambda = 0[/tex]?

Hart said:
[tex]\lambda\left(\psi_{c}\right)=-2i \hbar xy(c-1)[/tex]

It would be true if [tex]\lambda = 0[/tex]?

You tell me...if [itex]\lambda=0[/itex] what does that equation become? Are there any values of [itex]c[/itex] that make that equation true?

[tex]\lambda\left(\psi_{c}\right)=-2i \hbar x y (c-1) = -2i \hbar x y c + 2i \hbar x y [/tex]

[tex]0 = -2i \hbar x y c + 2i \hbar x y[/tex]

[tex]2i \hbar x y c = 2i \hbar x y[/tex]

[tex]c = 1

[/tex]

Right, so for c=1, [itex]\psi[/itex] is an eigenfunction of [itex]\hat{L}_z[/itex] with corresponding eigenvalue [itex]\lambda=0[/itex].

If [itex]\lambda\neq 0[/itex] are there any values of [itex]c[/itex] which satisfy the eigenvalue equation for all [itex]x[/itex] and [itex]y[/itex]?

Um.. c can be any integer value? it's just a scaling value.

Hart said:
Um.. c can be any integer value? it's just a scaling value.

So, you are telling me that [itex]\lambda\left(x^2+cy^2\right)=-2i \hbar xy(c-1)[/itex] is satisfied for any integer value of [itex]c[/itex]?

What is an eigenfunction?

An eigenfunction is a mathematical function that, when acted upon by an operator, remains unchanged except for a scalar multiple (called an eigenvalue). In other words, the operator has a "preferred" direction in which the function is changed.

What is an operator?

An operator is a mathematical symbol or function that operates on a given mathematical object (such as a function or vector) to produce another mathematical object. In the context of eigenfunctions, operators are used to determine the preferred direction of change for a given function.

How do you determine the eigenfunction of an operator?

The process of determining the eigenfunction of an operator involves solving an equation known as an eigenvalue problem. This equation involves the operator, the unknown eigenfunction, and the corresponding eigenvalue. By solving this equation, the eigenfunction and eigenvalue can be determined.

What is the significance of eigenfunctions?

Eigenfunctions are important in many areas of mathematics and science, including quantum mechanics, differential equations, and signal processing. They provide a way to represent complex functions in terms of simpler, "preferred" directions, making it easier to analyze and understand them.

Can an operator have multiple eigenfunctions?

Yes, an operator can have multiple eigenfunctions with different eigenvalues. This is known as a degenerate case, where the operator has multiple "preferred" directions for a given function. In this case, the eigenfunctions form a basis for the space on which the operator is acting.