Determining Enthelpy of reaction

• Thread starter Qube
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Reaction
In summary, the enthalpy of the reaction 2NO_{2} \rightarrow N_{2}O_{4} is exothermic because of the formation of a N-N bond, the presence of a radical on the nitrogen in nitrogen dioxide, and differences in charge density and hybridization between nitrogen dioxide and nitrogen tetraoxide.
Qube
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Determine the enthalpy of this reaction (below).

[itex]2NO_{2} \rightarrow N_{2}O_{4}[/itex]

Homework Equations

Reaction is exothermic if product is more stable than reactants.

Reaction is endothermic if the reverse were true (product less stable than reactants).

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm trying to think of all the different ways I can explain why the forward reaction is exothermic.

1) Dimerization of nitrogen dioxide; a N-N bond is being formed using the radical on the nitrogen in nitrogen dioxide.

2) The radical on the nitrogen in nitrogen dioxide makes it inherently less stable than a molecule with no radicals.

3) The nitrogen dioxide has a positive formal charge on the nitrogen and a negative formal charge on its oxygen. Positive formal charges are also present on the nitrogens in nitrogen tetraoxide along with negative formal charges on two oxygens but the entire molecule is bigger, so the charge density is likely lower.

4) Hybridization? The nitrogen of the nitrogen dioxide is sp2 hybridized (do radicals count when determining hybridization)?

Anything else I can consider in explaining why the above reaction is exothermic?

Physics news on Phys.org
It's not really clear what you are asking.

The problem statement wants you to calculate the enthalpy value. Have you done that, and now you are basically looking for some intuitive reasoning to make sense of the result, to satisfy your own curiosity? Or is coming up with the reason actually part of the assignment, even though the problem statement does not explicitly ask for a reason?

(Sorry I can't actually help with coming up with the reason. But as nobody else has replied in 2 days, I just thought I'd try to get some clarification for the benefit of others who may be better able to help.)

Just really want to know.
It's the former. I know the enthalpies but why? Prof didn't give satisfying explanation.

1. What is enthalpy of reaction?

Enthalpy of reaction, also known as heat of reaction, is the amount of heat released or absorbed during a chemical reaction. It is a measure of the energy difference between the products and reactants of a reaction.

2. How is enthalpy of reaction determined?

Enthalpy of reaction can be determined experimentally by measuring the change in temperature of the reactants and products, and using the equation Q = mcΔT, where Q is the heat exchanged, m is the mass of the substances, and ΔT is the change in temperature. It can also be calculated using Hess's Law, which states that the enthalpy change of a reaction is equal to the sum of the enthalpy changes of the individual steps of the reaction.

3. What factors affect the enthalpy of reaction?

The enthalpy of reaction is affected by the nature of the reactants and products, the temperature and pressure of the reaction environment, and the presence of a catalyst. Endothermic reactions have a positive enthalpy of reaction, while exothermic reactions have a negative enthalpy of reaction.

4. Why is enthalpy of reaction important?

Enthalpy of reaction is important in understanding the energy changes that occur during a chemical reaction. It can also be used to predict the spontaneity of a reaction and to design and optimize industrial processes. Additionally, it is an important concept in thermodynamics, which is a fundamental principle in the study of energy and matter.

5. How does enthalpy of reaction relate to enthalpy of formation?

Enthalpy of formation is the enthalpy change when one mole of a substance is formed from its constituent elements in their standard states. It is related to enthalpy of reaction through Hess's Law, as the enthalpy of reaction can be calculated by subtracting the enthalpy of formation of the reactants from the enthalpy of formation of the products. Enthalpy of formation is also used to determine the standard enthalpy of reaction, which is the enthalpy change for a reaction occurring under standard conditions.