Determining if integral converges or diverges

• MHB
  • Thread starter tmt1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, the given integral $\int_{3}^{\infty} \frac{1}{\sqrt{x} - 1} \,dx$ can be simplified using u-substitution and eventually becomes $2\int_\sqrt{3}^\infty1+\frac{1}{t-1}\text{ d}t$. Further steps can be taken to determine if the integral converges or diverges.
tmt1
$\int_{3}^{\infty} \frac{1}{\sqrt{x} - 1} \,dx$

I need to find if this converges or diverges.

I'm trying u-substitution, so $u = \sqrt{x} - 1$.

Therefore, $du = \frac{1}{2\sqrt{x}} dx$.

I'm not sure how to proceed from here.

Physics news on Phys.org
tmt said:
$\int_{3}^{\infty} \frac{1}{\sqrt{x} - 1} \,dx$

I need to find if this converges or diverges.

I'm trying u-substitution, so $u = \sqrt{x} - 1$.

Therefore, $du = \frac{1}{2\sqrt{x}} dx$.

I'm not sure how to proceed from here.
Good so far. Just keep going:
\(\displaystyle \sqrt{x} = u + 1\)

Thus
\(\displaystyle dx = 2(u + 1) ~ du\)

etc.

-Dan

I would continue as follows:

\(\displaystyle dx=2\sqrt{x}\,du=(2u+2)\,du\)

And so the integral becomes:

\(\displaystyle I=\int_{\sqrt{3}-1}^{\infty}\frac{2u+2}{u}\,du=2\int_{\sqrt{3}-1}^{\infty} 1+\frac{1}{u}\,du=2\lim_{t\to\infty}\left(\int_{\sqrt{3}-1}^{t} 1+\frac{1}{u}\,du\right)\)

$$\int_3^\infty\frac{1}{\sqrt{x}-1}\text{ d}x$$

$$t^2=x,\quad2t\text{ d}t=\text{d}x$$

$$2\int_\sqrt{3}^\infty\frac{t}{t-1}\text{ d}t=2\int_\sqrt{3}^\infty1+\frac{1}{t-1}\text{ d}t$$

etc.

Related to Determining if integral converges or diverges

1. What is the definition of convergence and divergence in the context of integrals?

Convergence and divergence refer to the behavior of an integral as the limits of integration approach infinity. A convergent integral will have a finite value as the limits approach infinity, while a divergent integral will have an infinite value.

2. How do I determine if an integral is convergent or divergent?

To determine convergence or divergence, you can use various methods such as the comparison test, limit comparison test, integral test, or the ratio test. These methods involve comparing the given integral to a known convergent or divergent integral or evaluating the limit of the function.

3. Can an integral be both convergent and divergent?

No, an integral can either be convergent or divergent, but not both. If the integral has a finite value, it is convergent. If the integral has an infinite value, it is divergent.

4. What happens if the limits of integration are not from 0 to infinity?

If the limits of integration are not from 0 to infinity, the integral can still be convergent or divergent. However, the methods used to determine convergence or divergence may differ depending on the limits of integration.

5. Can I use any method to determine convergence or divergence?

No, it is important to choose the appropriate method based on the given integral and the limits of integration. Some methods may be more suitable for certain types of integrals and may give more accurate results. It is also recommended to use multiple methods to confirm the convergence or divergence of an integral.