1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Determining if the following sets span R^3 and creating a basis, wee! matrices

1. Dec 11, 2005 #1
    Hello everyone, The problem says:Determine which, if, any, of the following sets span R^3?
    b. {[1 1 -1], [-1 1 1]} note: i'm just transposing them, they should be verical.
    c. {[1 1 0], [0 1 1], [1 0 0], [1 0 1]}
    Those are the 2 sets, he showed us how to do them but i got lost on his steps:
    he writes:
    Intially b does not span R^3, which makes sense, because there are only 2 vector sets in b. He then goes on and writes
    [1 1 -1] [-1 1 1] * [x y z];
    and says use the dot product and name the first column which is, [1 1 -1] x1, then the 2nd column [-1 1 1], x2 and use the dot product.
    he comes out with:
    x+y-z = 0;
    -x + y + z = 0;
    he then writes:
    y = a;
    2y = 0;
    y = 0;
    x = z;

he totally lost me and now your probably lost as well. Anywho from that he got:
    [1 0 1] which says will make b span R^3 and you would get:
    {[1 1 -1], [-1 1 1], [1 0 1]}
    Any ideas on how he got that last vector? Also i know if the dot porduct of 2 vectors is 0, then its linear indepdant.

He then says, create 3 bases for R^3 using the above sets. he showed us this:
    [1 1 0] [0 1 1] [1 0 0] [1 0 1]
    [1 0 1] = -[1 1 0] + [ 0 1 1] + 2[1 0 0]
    so he said u don't need
    [1 0 1], but he kind of did this by looking at it, is there a systematic approach to solving it? Thanks.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 11, 2005 #2

shmoe

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

{[1 1 -1], [-1 1 1]} is not a basis of R^3 as it has only two vectors. You can check they are linearly independant, so to get a basis for R^3 you can add any vector not in span{[1 1 -1], [-1 1 1]} as this will be an independant set (why?) of 3 vectors in R^3 and hence is a basis.

To find a vector not in span{[1 1 -1], [-1 1 1]}, he's finding a vector that is orthogonal to every vector in span{[1 1 -1], [-1 1 1]}.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?