1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Determining of a sequence is convergent or divergence

1. Feb 8, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    For x[itex]_{n}[/itex] given by the following formula, establish either the convergence or divergence of the sequence [itex]X = (x_{n})[/itex]

[itex]x_{n} := (-1)^{n}n/(n+1)[/itex]

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    This is for my real analysis class. I tried to use the squeeze theorem, but didn't get anywhere with it. I know [itex](-1)^{n}[/itex] is divergent, and n are divergent sequences but I haven't been able to use many theorems in the section because most of them are assuming something about a convergent sequence(and I need to show if it is or isn't)

Any ideas?

Thanks for looking

edit:

*Note: I have already shown that [itex]x_{n} := (-1)^{n}/(n+1)[/itex] converges to zero using the squeeze theorem, but the extra "n" in the numerator is messing me up with this one..

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 8, 2012 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Write out about a dozen terms in the sequence. That should give you a better idea about what this one is doing.

4. Feb 8, 2012 #3
    well sure I can do that and tell that it is heading towards -1 and 1, i.e. its divergent, but I was assuming the problem was asking some kind of use of a theorem to prove its divergent

5. Feb 8, 2012 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

You could use the definition of a divergent sequence (the negation of the definition of a convergent sequence).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook