What is the minimum refractive index for total internal reflection at point P?

In summary, to determine the minimum value of the refractive index of the glass in order to have total internal reflection at point P, we can use Snell's law and the condition for total internal reflection. By drawing the path of the light ray and using trigonometric identities, we can determine that n=sin90/(sin90-theta)=1/cos theta. This allows us to find the value of the unknown angle theta and ultimately the minimum value of the refractive index.
Neophyte7
A ray of light strikes a square glass block at an angle of 45 degrees and enters the glass. If this block is surrounded by air (n=1), what is the minimum value of the refractive index of the glass if the total internal reflection occurs at point P. (see attached diagram)

I'm really lost on this one. I know to take Snell's law at the surface AD. And the condition for the total internal reflection at the surface AB.

I know n1sin(45) = n2sin(theta) from Snell's law, but how do I get the value for the unknow angle (theta)?

I know that we can determine that the angle at P is sin(90-theta) which = cos (theta)
And I know that sin2(theta) + cos2(theta) = 1. But that's as far as I can get.

Any help would be appreciated. I've attached a diagram for clarification. Thanks.

Attachments

• diagram1.jpg
    diagram1.jpg
    5.7 KB · Views: 436
Physics news on Phys.org
Normally you don't - it's difficult to measure the path of the light inside the glass.
Draw the path of the light ray coming out of the bottom side of the block - then try finding 'n' in terms of the displacement of the ray and the thickness of the block.

The angle of incidence at P=90-theta(the critical angle) and the angle of emergence=90degrees.At P n from air to glass is given by n=sin90/(sin90-theta)=1/cos theta.

1. What is refractive index?

Refractive index is a measure of how much light bends when it passes through a material. It is calculated by dividing the speed of light in a vacuum by the speed of light in the material.

2. How is refractive index determined?

Refractive index can be determined by using a refractometer, which measures the angle at which light bends when passing through a material. This angle is then used to calculate the refractive index.

3. What factors affect refractive index?

Refractive index is mainly affected by the density and composition of a material. The more dense a material is, the higher its refractive index will be. Additionally, the refractive index can also be affected by temperature and the wavelength of light.

4. Why is refractive index important in science?

Refractive index is important in science because it can help identify and characterize different materials. It is also used in various applications, such as in optics for designing lenses and in pharmaceuticals for quality control of drugs.

5. How is refractive index used in everyday life?

Refractive index is used in everyday life in many ways. It is used in the production of eyeglasses and contact lenses to correct vision. Refractive index is also used in the manufacturing of camera lenses and microscopes. Additionally, it is used in the food industry to measure sugar content and in gemology to identify different types of gemstones.