Determining Sin wave horizontal shift 'C' value

In summary: The equation for the sine function is y = 5sin(2(x-pi/20)) + 3In summary, the equation of the sine function with its first positive maximum point at (pi/5,8) and its next minimum point at (7pi/10,-2) is y = 5sin(2(x-pi/20)) + 3. The value for a is found by taking the difference between the maximum and minimum values and dividing by 2, giving a value of 5. The value for b is calculated by taking 2pi divided by the period, which is equal to 2 times the difference between the maximum and minimum x values, resulting in a value of 2.
tsaitea
Find the equation of a sine function with its first positive maximum point at (pi/5,8) and its next minimum point at (7pi/10,-2).

With the sin form as y=a*sin[b*(x-c)] + d

I found:

a=[max-min]/2 = 5
b= 2pi/period= 2pi/(2*[max-min])=2
d=max+min/2=3

I am having troubles determining the value for c.

How I am thinking about is that the point of reference for sin when it hits its first maximum is at pi/2. The difference between the pi/2 and pi/5 would be my phase shift however the answer is not right. The value for c should be pi/20.

Can someone explain what I have done incorrectly here?

Physics news on Phys.org
tsaitea said:
Find the equation of a sine function with its first positive maximum point at (pi/5,8) and its next minimum point at (7pi/10,-2).

With the sin form as y=a*sin[b*(x-c)] + d

I found:

a=[max-min]/2 = 5
b= 2pi/period= 2pi/(2*[max-min])=2
d=max+min/2=3

I am having troubles determining the value for c.

How I am thinking about is that the point of reference for sin when it hits its first maximum is at pi/2. The difference between the pi/2 and pi/5 would be my phase shift however the answer is not right. The value for c should be pi/20.

Can someone explain what I have done incorrectly here?
sin(x) has its first max at x = π/2 -- basically when its argument is π/2 .

What is the argument of the sine function appearing in your expression?

My argument is 2(x+3pi/10)

tsaitea said:
So, you've found c ?

Yes, but the correct answer for the argument is 2(x+pi/20)

Ahh I think I got it... so what I am supposed to do is set the argument at pi/5 equal to pi/2 and solve for c like this...

2(pi/5 -c) = pi/2

Thanks for your help!

tsaitea said:

So the argument is 2(x - c) .

That should equal π/2 at the first maximum. Right?

You know the x value at the first max., so plug that in & solve.

1. How do you determine the horizontal shift 'C' value of a sin wave?

To determine the horizontal shift 'C' value of a sin wave, you need to find the x-coordinate of the midline of the wave. This can be done by finding the period of the wave and then dividing it by 2. The resulting value is the horizontal shift 'C' value.

2. What is the period of a sin wave?

The period of a sin wave is the length of one complete cycle, or one full oscillation, of the wave. It is usually denoted by the symbol 'T' and is measured in units of time, such as seconds or milliseconds.

3. How does the 'C' value affect the position of the sin wave?

The 'C' value determines the horizontal shift of the sin wave. It shifts the wave either to the left or right, depending on whether the value is positive or negative, respectively. A larger 'C' value will result in a greater horizontal shift of the wave.

4. Can the 'C' value be negative?

Yes, the 'C' value can be negative. This indicates that the sin wave will be shifted to the right. A negative 'C' value is also known as a phase shift.

5. How can the 'C' value be used in real-world applications?

The 'C' value can be used to model periodic phenomena in various fields such as physics, engineering, and finance. For example, in physics, it can be used to represent the position of a vibrating object over time. In finance, it can be used to model the periodic fluctuations in stock prices.