1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Determining the distribution function

1. Apr 7, 2006 #1
    I've gotten a weird answer after doing the problem but I'm stuck as to where I messed up.

The density function is this:
    [tex]f_{X} (x) = \frac{1}{6}x[/tex] for [tex]0<x\leq2[/tex]
    [tex] = \frac{1}{3}(2x-3)[/tex] for 2<x<3
    and 0 otherwise

And the question is to find the distribution function.

So integrating for the first part from 0 to x:
    [tex]\int \frac{1}{6}u du = \frac {1}{6} \frac{x^2}{2} = \frac{x^2}{16}[/tex]
    for 0<x<=2

I have a big problem with the second, part. This is what I did (integrating from 2 to x):
    [tex]\int \frac{1}{3} (2u-3) du = \frac{1}{3} [u^2-3u] = \frac{1}{3} (x^2-3x - (2^2-6)) = \frac{x^2}{3} - x + \frac{2}{3}[/tex]
    for 2<x<3

I know my answer for the second part is wrong as when x=2, the distribution function = 0 and when x=3, the distribution function = 2/3. But the distribution shouldn't be broken up like that at x=2 and supposedly at x=3, it should = 1. So did I forget to do something to the end points or did I not integrate properly?
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 7, 2006 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The distribution function is given by:

[tex]F_X(x) := \int_{-\infty}^x f_X(x) \, dx[/tex]

So when you computed [itex]\int_2^x f_X(x) \, dx[/itex], you computed the wrong thing, and there's no reason you should have gotten the right answer.

P.S. 6*2 is not 16.
  4. Apr 7, 2006 #3
    whoops sorry, typo :blushing: that first part is
    [tex]\int_0^x \frac{1}{6}u du = \frac {1}{6} \frac{x^2}{2} = \frac{x^2}{12}[/tex]

which shows I don't really understand what I'm doing but now that you mentioned it...

is the second part then given by [tex]\int_0^2 \frac{1}{6}u du + \int_2^x \frac{1}{3} (2u-3) du[/tex]? ie I forgot to add the first part of f(x)?
  5. Apr 7, 2006 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Right. Of course, there should also be a [itex]\int_{-\infty}^0 f_X(u) \, du[/itex] component as well. (But you know it's zero, so I suppose that's why you left it out)
  6. Apr 7, 2006 #5
    Thank you very much for your help :)
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?