Determining the mass of a beam and using percent uncertainty

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 4K views
Domcrist22
Messages
1
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


An astronaut exerts a 110-N force pushing a beam into place on the International Space Station. The beam accelerates at 0.40m/s2 .
What is the percent uncertainty in your answer? The uncertainty of the force is 10 N and the uncertainty of the acceleration is 0.01 m/s2.

Homework Equations


F=m*a

The Attempt at a Solution


I plugged into the equation and found the mass to be 275kg. I get lost after that because I need to find the percent uncertainty.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
There is a standard formula how to combine relative uncertainties from two different sources, and I am sure your textbook has it. Just plug in numbers. You can also use a formula for absolute uncertainties, but that needs more steps.