1. PF Contest - Win "Conquering the Physics GRE" book! Click Here to Enter
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Determining vector spaces

1. Mar 22, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    2. Relevant equations
    The 10 axioms:
    1. If u and v are objects in V, then u + v is in V
    2. u + v = v + u
    3. u + (v+w) = (u+v)+w
    4. There is an object 0 in V, called a zero factor for V, such that 0+u = u+0 = u for all u in V
    5. For each u in V, there is an object -u in V, called a negative of u, such that u+(-u)=(-u)+u = 0
    6. If k is any scalar and u is any object in V, then ku is in V
    7. k(u + v) = ku + kv
    8. (k + m)u = ku + mu
    9. k(mu) = (km)(u)
    10. 1u = u
    3. The attempt at a solution
    First of all, are u, v, and w just (x_{1},y_{1}), (x_{2},y_{2}), (x_{3},y_{3}) and so on? If so, am I going about this the right way?

Axiom 1. Since x,y[tex]\in[/tex]R, then any (x,y)[tex]\in[/tex] thus the addition would hold. (Not really sure how to explain this one well)
    Axiom 2. [tex](x_{1},y_{1})+(x_{2},y_{2}) = (x_{1}+x_{2}+_{1},y_{1}+y_{2}+_{1}) = (x_{2},y_{2})+(x_{1},y_{1}) = (x_{2}+x_{1}+_{1},y_{2}+y_{1}+_{1})[/tex]
    Axiom 3.

[tex]u+(v+w) = (x_{1},y_{1})+(x_{2}+x_{3}+1,y_{2}+y_{3}+1) = (x_{1}+(x_{2}+x_{3}+1)+1,y_{1}+(y_{2}+y_{3}+1)+1) = (x_{1}+x_{2}+x_{3}+_{2},y_{1}+y_{2}+y_{3}+2)[/tex]
    [tex](u+v)+w = (x_{1}+x_{2}+1,y_{1}+y_{2}+1) + (x_{3},y_{3}) = ((x_{1}+x_{2}+_{1})+x_{3}+1,(y_{1}+y_{2}+1)+y_{3}+1) = (x_{1}+x_{2}+x_{3}+_{2},y_{1}+y_{2}+y_{3}+2)[/tex]

and so on for the rest...

Is this the correct approach? It seems that it is to me, but I may be way off here.
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 23, 2010 #2

Staff: Mentor

That would be zero vector, not factor.
    Yes, u, v, and w and just ordered pairs.
    You left something out. ... then any (x, y) [itex]\in[/itex] V, so V is closed under addition.
    Yes, this is the right approach. I have my suspicions, though, that V is not a vector space.
  4. Mar 23, 2010 #3
    Thanks for the tip and clarification :]

I think you are correct, unless I made a mistake. Using this approach I found that all axioms were satisfied except axiom 5. Thoughts on this?
  5. Mar 23, 2010 #4

Axiom 4 is also violated. There might be others, but I didn't check all of them.
  6. Mar 23, 2010 #5

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Both axioms hold, actually. The zero vector would be 0=(-1,-1), and the additive inverse would be -(x,y) = (-x-2,-y-2). I would have thought one of axioms 7-10 would fail, but I think they all work out.
  7. Mar 23, 2010 #6

Live and learn. Thanks, Vela.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook