Confirm My Suspicions: Calculating Velocity on an Incline Plane

In summary, the Washing Machine will roll down an incline at 10° for 2" and then will be rejected based off of whether it's a good or bad part. If it's a good part, it will continue down the slide. If it's a bad part, it will be rejected at the 2" mark and the distance to the second reject spot will be determined. The overall length of the incline needed to check the washer will be determined based off of the two velocities and the lengths of the two reject distances.
XADS230
Here's my scenario...I ran these calculations and I feel they are off due to my velocity values.

I have a washer rolling down an incline plane set at 10°.
The Length of the Plane is still unknown.
Starting at rest, determine the velocity at 2". At this distance a camera with take a snapshot and determine whether it's a good part or bad part. The camera takes 0.6 seconds to process the image.
If it's a Bad Part, it will be rejected from the slide(0.6sec later). Determine how far down the incline the washer will be, to know where to reject the washer.
If it's a Good Part, it will continue down the slide where it will checked by another camera, a distance of 2.25" from the first reject spot determined above.
Determine how far down the second reject spot would be on the incline.
Determine the overall length the incline would need to be to complete the mentioned process.

What I know...
Vi = 0.0
Angle = 10°
Frictionless plane.
Constant Acceleration
d1 = 2"
t(camera processing) = 0.6 seconds

Vf^2 = Vi^2 + 2(g*sin(θ)) d1

Plugging in the known values I came up with...

Vf^2 = 0 + 2(385.8in/s^2 * sin(10°))(2")

Yielding me with a result of Vf1 = (16.369in/s).

Over a distance of 2 inches, this velocity seems way too fast. Should d1 actually be the height of the triangle created by using 2" as the hypotenuse and Sin(10°)? Resulting in a new value of Vf1 = (6.819 in/s).

For the Second part of my calculations, I have to determine it's distance based off the velocity and time known. To determine position with no final velocity I used the equation

X = Vi(t)+(0.5)a*t^2

With the Velocity of 16.369in/s and the time value, I calculated a reject distance at 21.88" down the ramp. And repeated the same method of calculations to get the second reject distance and overall length. Can someone confirm my suspicions?

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you really mean "rolling down an incline" or is just sliding?
If it's just sliding on a frictionless plane, the speed after 2" seems about right. (I get about 11.5 in/s).

Yes, I mean rolling.

I just realized that I have to account for the force of gravity center of mass and rotational acceleration of a disk along with friction.

Vf = √(Vi^2+2(g*sin(θ)/1+I/mr^2)d1)

I (in this case: Disk) = 1/2m*r^2

so,

Vf = √(Vi^2+2((2/3)g*sin(θ))L)

If it's rolling you don't mean frictionless.
Since it's a washer, there'll be a hole in the disc, no? If the internal and external radii are A, B then the M.I. is m(B^2+A^2)/2.
Not sure why you concern yourself with the velocities. Don't you just want to know the times to various distances?
Force down plane = mg.sin(θ) = m.a + [m(B^2+A^2)/2].a/B^2
a = 2g.sin(θ) /[3 + A^2/B^2]
where a is the linear accn.
Then solve 2s = at^2 for the various s.

1. How do I calculate the velocity on an incline plane?

To calculate the velocity on an incline plane, you will need to use the formula v = √(2gsinθ), where v is the velocity, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s²), and θ is the angle of the incline plane.

2. What is the purpose of calculating velocity on an incline plane?

Calculating velocity on an incline plane allows us to understand the relationship between the angle of the incline and the resulting velocity of an object. This can help us make predictions about the motion of objects on incline planes and determine the necessary force needed to overcome friction.

3. Can I use this formula for any object on an incline plane?

Yes, this formula can be used for any object on an incline plane, as long as the object is not accelerating and there is no air resistance. This formula is commonly used in physics experiments to analyze the motion of objects on an incline plane.

4. How do I determine the angle of an incline plane?

To determine the angle of an incline plane, you can use a protractor or a measuring tool to measure the angle between the incline and the horizontal surface. Alternatively, if you know the height and length of the incline, you can use the formula θ = tan⁻¹(h/l) to calculate the angle.

5. What are some real-life applications of calculating velocity on an incline plane?

Calculating velocity on an incline plane has many practical applications, such as determining the speed of objects on ramps or hills, predicting the motion of vehicles on inclined roads, and understanding the motion of objects on roller coasters. It is also used in engineering and construction to analyze the stability and safety of inclined structures.