Determining when a function is an element of L^2 (0,1)

In summary, the conversation discusses determining the value of k for which f(x)=x^k is an element of the L2 (0,1) vector space. It includes a discussion of the integral of x^2k and its convergence for different values of k. There is also a mention of a potential mistake in the use of a geometric series to represent the fraction.
lants

Homework Statement

Determine for what k f(x)=xk is an element of L2 (0,1) vector space
k ∈ ℝ

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex] \int_{0}^{1} x^{2k} dx = \frac{1-0^{2k+1}}{1+2k} = \sum_{n=0}^{\infty}{(-2k)^{n}} [/tex] (for k > -½)

This sum should converge for [tex]
\lim_{n \to +\infty}
{\frac{|(-2k)^{n+1}|}{|(-2k)^{n}|}} < 1
=
|-2k| < 1
[/tex]

Which gives me a radius of convergence for
[tex] - \frac{1}{2} < k < \frac{1}{2}
[/tex]

But just by examining it, the integral should exist for any k greater than negative one-half, what is wrong with my ratio test?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
lants said:

Homework Statement

Determine for what k f(x)=xk is an element of L2 (0,1) vector space
k ∈ ℝ

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex] \int_{0}^{1} x^{2k} dx = \frac{1-0^{2k+1}}{1+2k} = \sum_{n=0}^{\infty}{(-2k)^{n}} [/tex] (for v > -½)

This sum should converge for [tex]
\lim_{n \to +\infty}
{\frac{|(-2k)^{n+1}|}{|(-2k)^{n}|}} < 1
=
|-2k| < 1
[/tex]

Which gives me a radius of convergence for
[tex] - \frac{1}{2} < k < \frac{1}{2}
[/tex]

But just by examining it, the integral should exist for any k greater than negative one-half, what is wrong with my ratio test?

The infinite series doesn't represent the fraction for all values of k. The series may not converge for some k but that doesn't mean the fraction's value doesn't exist.

Ok thanks, obvious mistake

I don't see your logic. The integral of [itex]x^{2k}[/itex] is the number 1/(2k+ 1) as long as that number exists. What does that have to do with whether or not there is a geometric sequence converging to it? If k= 1, which is greater than 1/2, f(x)= x which is certainly twice integrable between 0 and 1.

someone already responded pointing out it was wrong in an actually helpful way, and I already responded back, so move along now

Likes LCKurtz

1. What is L^2 (0,1)?

L^2 (0,1) is a function space that contains square integrable functions defined on the interval (0,1). This means that the integral of the squared absolute value of the function is finite within this interval.

2. How do you determine if a function is an element of L^2 (0,1)?

To determine if a function is an element of L^2 (0,1), you need to calculate the integral of the squared absolute value of the function over the interval (0,1). If the result is finite, then the function is an element of L^2 (0,1).

3. What is the significance of L^2 (0,1) in mathematics?

L^2 (0,1) is important in mathematics because it is a function space that is used to define the concept of square integrability. It is also used in various areas of analysis and functional analysis, such as in the study of Fourier series and Hilbert spaces.

4. Can a function be an element of L^2 (0,1) but not L^2 (a,b)?

Yes, it is possible for a function to be an element of L^2 (0,1) but not L^2 (a,b). This is because the interval (a,b) may have a different length than (0,1), which can affect the integrability of the function.

5. Are all continuous functions on (0,1) elements of L^2 (0,1)?

No, not all continuous functions on (0,1) are elements of L^2 (0,1). For a continuous function to be an element of L^2 (0,1), its integral over the interval (0,1) must be finite. This is not always the case for continuous functions, as some may have infinite or non-existent integrals over this interval.