1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Determining when a function is an element of L^2 (0,1)

1. Oct 17, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Determine for what k f(x)=xk is an element of L2 (0,1) vector space
    k ∈ ℝ

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    [tex] \int_{0}^{1} x^{2k} dx = \frac{1-0^{2k+1}}{1+2k} = \sum_{n=0}^{\infty}{(-2k)^{n}} [/tex] (for k > -½)

This sum should converge for [tex]
    \lim_{n \to +\infty}
    {\frac{|(-2k)^{n+1}|}{|(-2k)^{n}|}} < 1
    =
    |-2k| < 1
    [/tex]

Which gives me a radius of convergence for
    [tex] - \frac{1}{2} < k < \frac{1}{2}
    [/tex]

But just by examining it, the integral should exist for any k greater than negative one-half, what is wrong with my ratio test?

Last edited: Oct 17, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 17, 2014 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The infinite series doesn't represent the fraction for all values of k. The series may not converge for some k but that doesn't mean the fraction's value doesn't exist.

4. Oct 17, 2014 #3
    Ok thanks, obvious mistake

5. Oct 18, 2014 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I don't see your logic. The integral of [itex]x^{2k}[/itex] is the number 1/(2k+ 1) as long as that number exists. What does that have to do with whether or not there is a geometric sequence converging to it? If k= 1, which is greater than 1/2, f(x)= x which is certainly twice integrable between 0 and 1.

6. Oct 18, 2014 #5
    someone already responded pointing out it was wrong in an actually helpful way, and I already responded back, so move along now

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted