Development of a thermodynamic property database hydrocarbons

In summary, the aim of the project is to develop a thermodynamic property database for hydrocarbon fuels. The initial focus is on understanding the Maxwell relationships and the Clapeyron equation. The database is expected to predict various properties such as specific heats and phases. John is seeking advice on what the database should be able to predict and is also looking for information on isooctane from reliable sources. Some helpful sources include Gulf Publishing Company, NIST, NASA, Google Books, and ACS Publications.
johnsmith456
Hiya guys,

I've just started a project, of which the aim is to develop a thermodynamic property database for hydrcarbon fuels.

I've been asked to start by reading up on the maxwell relationships and clapeyron equation etc. so hopefully this will give you an idea of what I am trying to develop.

I don't have a specific question because I am at a bit of a loss on this one at the moment.

Does anyone have any salient advice for what the database should be able to predict, specific heats, phase etc..

Also I have been asked to find some properties/data on isooctane, does anybody know of a good source where I can find some info on this?

Any advice would be a huge help, thanks in advance.

Regards
John

Science news on Phys.org
Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the purpose of developing a thermodynamic property database for hydrocarbons?

The purpose of developing a thermodynamic property database for hydrocarbons is to provide a comprehensive and accurate collection of thermodynamic data for various hydrocarbon compounds. This database can be used for a variety of engineering applications such as process design, simulation, and optimization.

2. How is the data collected and verified for the thermodynamic property database of hydrocarbons?

The data for the thermodynamic property database of hydrocarbons is collected from various sources such as experimental measurements, literature reviews, and theoretical calculations. The collected data is then verified using rigorous quality control processes to ensure accuracy and consistency.

3. What types of hydrocarbons are included in the thermodynamic property database?

The thermodynamic property database for hydrocarbons includes a wide range of compounds such as alkanes, alkenes, alkynes, cycloalkanes, aromatic compounds, and their mixtures. It also includes data for various isomers and different phases (solid, liquid, and gas) of these compounds.

4. How is the thermodynamic property database of hydrocarbons useful for industrial applications?

The thermodynamic property database of hydrocarbons is essential for industrial applications in the oil and gas, chemical, and energy industries. It provides critical information for process design, equipment sizing, and optimization, leading to improved efficiency and cost savings.

5. Is the thermodynamic property database of hydrocarbons constantly updated and maintained?

Yes, the thermodynamic property database of hydrocarbons is continuously updated and maintained to ensure that the data remains accurate and relevant. New data is regularly added, and existing data is reviewed and revised based on the latest experimental and theoretical findings.