Calculating DH/dT for a Cone: Understanding dV/dH in the Volume Formula

• Thread starter quicksilver123
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cone Height
In summary, the conversation is about question 27 and how to solve it using derivative notation. The answer book suggests using dV/dH, which is the rate of change of volume with respect to height. The person is struggling to understand why this part of the formula is considered dV/dH and they prefer prime notation. They are also unsure how to apply this in the problem. The expert explains that in related rates problems, the relationship between the rates (derivatives) needs to be determined, and this can be done by differentiating both sides of the equation with respect to time.
quicksilver123
Member warned that the homework template MUST be used
image2.JPG
Both the problem and my attempt at a solution are provided. However, I become stuck.

The answer book (question 27, as pictured in the next post, the upload size limit made me create a second post and both images are about 4mb), suggests that I use dV/dH, which is the portion of the cone volume formula: pih^2/4 (once the square is distributed to the radius).

I am having trouble understanding why this part of the formula is considered to be dV/dH, and I am not especially strong in Leibniz notation; I prefer to use prime notation.
I suppose that weakness is catching up with me on this problem.

Thank you in advance for any replies.

Physics news on Phys.org
image1.JPG

The first line of the solution of #27 shows that $$V = \frac{\pi h^3}{12}$$ Are you asking how they get from this to $$\frac{dV}{dh} = \frac{\pi h^2}{4} $$

That is exactly what I'm asking, thank you.

Maybe it would help if you explained exactly what dV/dH meant? I think its something like the derivative of V with respect to H...
I get dV/dT meaning flow rate, which makes intuitive sense to me, but I don't understand how the expression shown above equals dV/dH

It's straight-forward differentiation. What is the result of $$\frac{d}{dh}(h^3)$$

quicksilver123 said:
Maybe it would help if you explained exactly what dV/dH meant? I think its something like the derivative of V with respect to H...
dVdh is the rate of change of volume V with respect to height h.

In this problem, both V and h are functions of time, so differentiate your equation involving V and h with respect to t, using the chain rule.
quicksilver123 said:
I get dV/dT meaning flow rate, which makes intuitive sense to me, but I don't understand how the expression shown above equals dV/dH

aie/// i don't get it

well, i get that its the cahnge of volume with respect to height but I'm not sure about how to apply that in this question, as in what expression explains it

quicksilver123 said:
aie/// i don't get it

well, i get that its the cahnge of volume with respect to height but I'm not sure about how to apply that in this question, as in what expression explains it
You have ##V = \frac{\pi h^3}{12}##
This is the relationship between V and h. In a related rates problem, you have to get the relationship between the rates (derivatives).

Differentiate both sides of the equation above with respect to t. That will give you dV/dt on the left side. You'll need to use the chain rule to get the derivative with respect to t of the other side.

1. What is DH/dT height of a cone?

DH/dT height of a cone refers to the rate of change of the height of a cone with respect to the radius of its base. It is a measure of how quickly the height of the cone changes as the radius of its base changes.

2. How is DH/dT height of a cone calculated?

DH/dT height of a cone can be calculated using the formula DH/dT = (1/3)(r/h), where r is the radius of the base and h is the height of the cone. This formula takes into account the fact that the height of a cone is directly proportional to its radius.

3. What is the significance of DH/dT height of a cone?

DH/dT height of a cone is a useful concept in mathematics and physics, as it allows us to understand how the height of a cone changes as its base radius changes. It is also relevant in real-life applications, such as in engineering and design.

4. How does DH/dT height of a cone relate to the volume of a cone?

DH/dT height of a cone is directly related to the volume of a cone. As the height of a cone changes, so does its volume. The rate of change of the volume is proportional to the rate of change of the height, which is represented by DH/dT.

5. Can DH/dT height of a cone be negative?

Yes, DH/dT height of a cone can be negative. This means that as the radius of the base increases, the height of the cone decreases. This could occur in certain situations, such as when a cone is being cut or shaped.