Diatomic molecule vibrational frequency

In summary, the question is asking to calculate the ratio of frequencies of oscillations for H2 and HD molecules. Using the equation f=(1/2pi)(k/m)^0.5, we can calculate the frequency of HD using its reduced mass, which is 2/3 of the mass of H2. However, the given answer is (4/3)^0.5 which suggests that the ratio of frequencies is not simply based on the difference in mass between the two molecules. Further analysis may be needed to determine the correct ratio.
v_pino

Homework Statement

Calculate the ratio of frequencies of oscillations of the molecules H2 and HD.

Homework Equations

f=(1/2pi)(k/m)^0.5

f=frequency
k=spring constant
m= mass or reduced mass

The Attempt at a Solution

I got (2/6)^0.5 but the given answer is (4/3)^0.5.

I said that the mass of deuterium is twice that of H2. Is that correct? So the reduced mass of HD is 2/3 of the mass of H2.

Physics news on Phys.org
I then used the equation f=(1/2pi)(k/m)^0.5 and used the reduced mass of HD as m to calculate the frequency of HD. The frequency of H2 is the same as that of HD since they have the same spring constant so I divided the frequency of HD by the frequency of H2 and got (2/6)^0.5. What am I doing wrong?

1. What is a diatomic molecule?

A diatomic molecule is a molecule that is made up of two atoms of the same or different elements that are bonded together. Examples of diatomic molecules include oxygen (O2), nitrogen (N2), and hydrogen chloride (HCl).

2. What is vibrational frequency?

Vibrational frequency is the frequency at which a diatomic molecule vibrates. This frequency is determined by the strength of the bond between the two atoms and the masses of the atoms.

3. How is diatomic molecule vibrational frequency measured?

Diatomic molecule vibrational frequency is typically measured using spectroscopy techniques, such as infrared spectroscopy, which can detect the energy levels of the molecule and determine the frequency at which it vibrates.

4. Why is diatomic molecule vibrational frequency important?

Diatomic molecule vibrational frequency is important because it provides information about the chemical bonding between the two atoms in the molecule. It can also be used to identify different molecules and their structures.

5. How does temperature affect diatomic molecule vibrational frequency?

As temperature increases, the vibrational frequency of a diatomic molecule also increases. This is because higher temperatures provide more energy to the molecules, causing them to vibrate at a faster rate.