Did i blink my eyes or was it lightning?

In summary, the speaker was minding their own business when they saw what they thought was lightning. However, it turned out to be a rare and destructive type of lightning known as "positive giants." Despite the loud thunder, the speaker advises to smile and say cheese when encountering them.
Pengwuino
Gold Member
So there i was sitting there minding my own business. I turn my head towards this window and i blink my eyes and i swear right as my eyes were closing, i thought i saw some lightning. Now of course, its been a clear day, no clouds... so I am assuming it was just my eyes blinking.

Well 5 seconds later, i was proven wrong. I swear the loudest clasp of thunder I have ever heard in my entire life just... la;sjdfl;sa'd me. Guess it was the opening act for what so far has been one hell of a thunder store. :grumpy:

Physics news on Phys.org
they're called "positive giants" and happens about 20miles aways from an actual storm. they are rare but are so destructive than the regular lightning, thus their name.:)

next time you encounter 'em, don't forget to smile and say cheezzzz :biggrin:

I cannot definitively say whether you blinked your eyes or if it was lightning without more information. However, it is possible that you experienced a phenomenon known as a "phantom flash." This occurs when a sudden change in brightness, such as blinking or turning your head towards a bright light, can create an illusion of a flash of light. This could explain why you thought you saw lightning even though it was a clear day.

Additionally, it is possible that there was a very distant lightning strike that you did not see due to the clear skies. The sound of thunder can travel a long distance, so it is possible that you heard the thunder from a strike that was not visible to you.

It is also worth noting that our brains can sometimes play tricks on us, especially when we are not expecting something like a loud clap of thunder. This could have contributed to the confusion between blinking your eyes and the sudden sound of thunder.

In any case, it is always interesting to reflect on our perceptions and how they can be influenced by various factors. Thank you for sharing your experience and I hope you enjoyed the thunderstorm!

1. Did I really see lightning or was it just my imagination?

It is possible that what you saw was not actually lightning, but a bright flash of light caused by something else. However, if there was a loud thunderclap accompanying the flash, it is likely that it was indeed lightning.

2. Can lightning be mistaken for blinking or vice versa?

Yes, it is possible for lightning to be mistaken for blinking and vice versa. Both are quick flashes of light, but lightning is much brighter and usually accompanied by a loud sound. It is important to pay attention to the surroundings and any accompanying sounds to determine if it was lightning or just a blink.

3. Is it possible to blink and see lightning at the same time?

Yes, it is possible to blink and see lightning at the same time. Our eyes are constantly blinking, even when we are not aware of it. So it is possible for a blink to occur at the same time as a lightning strike and for us to see both.

4. How can I tell the difference between blinking and lightning?

The main difference between blinking and lightning is the brightness and duration of the flash. Lightning is much brighter and usually lasts longer than a blink. Additionally, lightning is usually accompanied by a loud sound, while blinking is silent. Paying attention to these factors can help distinguish between the two.

5. Why do I sometimes see lightning when I blink my eyes?

When we blink our eyes, it creates a momentary darkness or change in light. If there happens to be a lightning strike during this moment, it may appear as if we saw the lightning when we blinked. This is just a coincidence and not actually related to the blinking itself.