Limit Comparison Test for Sequences with Exponential Growth

• Thread starter transgalactic
  • Start date
In summary: In other words, does lim_{n \rightarrow \infty}(\sqrt[4]{2^n}+\sqrt[4]{3^n})=\infty?No, the limit of the original sequence, \sqrt[4]{2^n}+\sqrt[4]{3^n}, does not equal \infty.
transgalactic
lim (2^n + 3^n)^0.25 =3^n[(2/3)^n + 1]^n =+infinity
n->+infinity

Physics news on Phys.org
Your equation is incorrect... the first part has a ^(.25) in it which seems to have been replaced by a ^n in the second one. Either way your answer is correct incidentally, but simply factoring out a 3n isn't really enough to be a convincing argument

You should solve it like this:
[tex]\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty}(2^n + 3^n)^{0.25} =\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty}\sqrt[4]{2^n + 3^n}[/tex]
Now, you need to multiply by:
[tex]\frac{\sqrt[4]{(2^n+3^n)^3}}{\sqrt[4]{(2^n+3^n)^3}}[/tex]
and you will get what?

if i will multiply i will get
(2^n + 3^n)/(2^n + 3^n)^0.25

the nuenator is bigger it goes to infinity

am i correct
??

No, don't forget that the denominator is no longer raised to the 0.25 power. Once you get the right fraction, you could probably expand the denominator and try to simplify the resulting mess. Maybe there is a cleaner way from there, I don't know.

One thing you can do to make this limit essentially clear is to find a similar but always smaller sequence that also tends to infinity as n becomes large. Seek a way to simplify what is inside the parentheses: 2n + 3n. Is there a way to get a sequence in which every term is smaller than the current sequence, which also allows you to easily combine the exponentials?

I think this is not so hard to solve.
[tex]\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty}(2^n + 3^n)^{0.25} =\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty}\sqrt[4]{2^n + 3^n} * \frac{\sqrt[4]{(2^n+3^n)^3}}{\sqrt[4]{(2^n+3^n)^3}} =\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty}\frac{2^n+3^n}{\sqrt[4]{(2^n+3^n)^3}}[/tex]
Now expand the denominator using (A+B)3=A3+3A2B+3AB2+B2

i don't need to expand
if i take (2^n + 3^n)=t

the numerator has power 1
the denominator has power 3/4

the numerator grows faster
thats why the limit goes to infinity

If you want to prove that the limit goes to infinity you need to write like this:
[tex]\lim_{t \rightarrow \infty}\frac{t}{\sqrt[4]{t^3}}=\lim_{t \rightarrow \infty}\frac{1}{\sqrt[4]{\frac{1}{t}}}=\frac{1}{0}=\infty[/tex]

Regards.

[tex] 2^n < 2^n + 3^n [/tex] for all n. So [tex] \sqrt[4](2^n) < \sqrt[4](2^n + 3^n)[/tex].

Now, [tex]\sqrt[4](2^n) = 2^(\frac{n}{4})[/tex] (That says 2^(n/4)). The [tex] \frac{n}{4}[/tex] goes to infinity, and so the entire term goes to infinity. Since it is less than the original sequence, what can you say about the limit of the original sequence?

1. Did I use the correct scientific method to solve the problem?

The scientific method involves making observations, forming a hypothesis, conducting experiments, analyzing data, and drawing conclusions. If you followed these steps, then you likely used the correct scientific method to solve the problem.

2. Are my results accurate and reliable?

Accuracy refers to how close your measurements are to the true value, while reliability refers to how consistently you can obtain the same results. To ensure accuracy and reliability, it is important to repeat your experiments and use proper equipment and techniques.

3. Did I consider all the relevant variables in my experiment?

It is important to identify and control all the relevant variables in an experiment to accurately determine the cause and effect relationship between them. Make sure to carefully plan and design your experiment to include all relevant variables.

4. How do my results compare to previous research or known data?

It is important to compare your results to previous research or known data to validate your findings. This helps to ensure that your results are consistent with what is already known and can provide new insights into the problem.

5. What are the potential sources of error in my experiment?

There are many potential sources of error in an experiment, such as human error, measurement error, or equipment malfunction. It is important to identify and minimize these sources of error to ensure the accuracy and reliability of your results.