Didn't receive scholarship, notify references

In summary, it may be polite to let your reference writers know you did not receive a scholarship, but it is not necessary.
ehilge
I have a yes or no question for you guys. I was recently notified that I did not receive a scholarship. Is it proper form to let my reference writers know that I did not receive the award? I did send thank you emails back in January when the application was submitted. I suppose I'm hesitant right now because I'm not sure if my references would think that I'm blaming them for not receiving the scholarship if I notify them that I didn't receive it. I might just be thinking about this to much...
Your thoughts?

Physics news on Phys.org
If you thanked them, I wouldn't send them anything further.

There's nothing wrong with letting them know the outcome and thanking them for their support. After all, you may want them to write another letter, yes?

In the opposite stuation - that is, after receving a scholarship - informing them you won would be nice (but not necessary). But in your current situation you already did what was necessary and polite. I would not send anything more (unless someone specifically asked to be informed).

Edit: so, we have two different points of view already presented :wink:

Put me down in the "Thank them immediately, then thank them again if you get it" camp.

It sounds a little negative otherwise to my ears.

ehilge said:
I have a yes or no question for you guys. I was recently notified that I did not receive a scholarship. Is it proper form to let my reference writers know that I did not receive the award? I did send thank you emails back in January when the application was submitted. I suppose I'm hesitant right now because I'm not sure if my references would think that I'm blaming them for not receiving the scholarship if I notify them that I didn't receive it. I might just be thinking about this to much...
Your thoughts?

I think your instincts are right, it may make them feel somewhat at fault. You don't need to tell them.

I'm going to put in another vote for no. I don't see how it could possibly help

hmm, curious, I thought the vote would be closer to 50-50. As far as how it could help, I was thinking that the professor might just like to know since he did contribute to the application. Also, I was thinking if I ever go back to him for a reference, it would be good to have some contact with him between references. But once again, I think it might just be awkward and counterproductive. But thanks everyone for you help!

TheLoser: I have absolutely no idea what you're trying to tell me.

I agree with the people that said just leave it. If you had gotten the scholarship, it is usually polite to let them know & thank them again. If for whatever reason you do decide to tell them, you'd probably want to be extremely political about it & make sure you choose your words correctly.

1. Why Didn't I Receive the Scholarship?

There could be a variety of reasons why you did not receive the scholarship. It is possible that there were a large number of qualified applicants and the selection process was highly competitive. It is also possible that your application did not meet all of the criteria or requirements set by the scholarship organization. Additionally, funding for the scholarship may have been limited and not all applicants could be awarded.

2. Can I Appeal the Decision?

Unfortunately, most scholarship decisions are final and cannot be appealed. However, if you believe there was an error in the selection process or if you have new information that was not included in your original application, you can contact the scholarship organization to discuss your situation.

3. Should I Notify My References?

It is always a good idea to notify your references when you apply for a scholarship. This allows them to be prepared in case they are contacted for further information or a recommendation. If you did not receive the scholarship, it is still a good idea to thank your references for their support and let them know the outcome.

4. Can I Reapply Next Year?

It depends on the specific scholarship and its requirements. Some scholarships allow for reapplication, while others do not. It is important to carefully read the scholarship guidelines to determine if reapplication is an option for you.

5. Is There Anything I Can Do to Improve My Chances for Future Scholarships?

Absolutely! It is always a good idea to continue to improve your academic and extracurricular achievements, as well as your personal statement and application materials. You can also search for and apply to a variety of scholarships that align with your interests, skills, and goals. Additionally, reaching out to your references and thanking them for their support can also improve your chances for future scholarships.