1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Didn't receive scholarship, notify references

1. Apr 14, 2010 #1
    I have a yes or no question for you guys. I was recently notified that I did not receive a scholarship. Is it proper form to let my reference writers know that I did not receive the award? I did send thank you emails back in January when the application was submitted. I suppose I'm hesitant right now because I'm not sure if my references would think that I'm blaming them for not receiving the scholarship if I notify them that I didn't receive it. I might just be thinking about this to much...
    Your thoughts?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 14, 2010 #2

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

If you thanked them, I wouldn't send them anything further.

4. Apr 14, 2010 #3

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

There's nothing wrong with letting them know the outcome and thanking them for their support. After all, you may want them to write another letter, yes?

5. Apr 14, 2010 #4

Borek

Staff: Mentor

In the opposite stuation - that is, after receving a scholarship - informing them you won would be nice (but not necessary). But in your current situation you already did what was necessary and polite. I would not send anything more (unless someone specifically asked to be informed).

Edit: so, we have two different points of view already presented :wink:

6. Apr 14, 2010 #5
    Put me down in the "Thank them immediately, then thank them again if you get it" camp.

It sounds a little negative otherwise to my ears.

7. Apr 14, 2010 #6

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think your instincts are right, it may make them feel somewhat at fault. You don't need to tell them.

8. Apr 14, 2010 #7

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm gonna put in another vote for no. I don't see how it could possibly help

9. Apr 15, 2010 #8
    hmm, curious, I thought the vote would be closer to 50-50. As far as how it could help, I was thinking that the professor might just like to know since he did contribute to the application. Also, I was thinking if I ever go back to him for a reference, it would be good to have some contact with him between references. But once again, I think it might just be awkward and counterproductive. But thanks everyone for you help!

TheLoser: I have absolutely no idea what you're trying to tell me.

10. Apr 15, 2010 #9
    I agree with the people that said just leave it. If you had gotten the scholarship, it is usually polite to let them know & thank them again. If for whatever reason you do decide to tell them, you'd probably want to be extremely political about it & make sure you choose your words correctly.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook