Solving Diff. Equation: 2x+y-3 with Substitutions

• Thread starter alseth
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation was about solving a differential equation using substitution and integration. The person was unsure if their method was correct and was wondering what to do with the resulting solution. The expert reassured them that their solution was fine and suggested substituting the original equation back in. They also mentioned that sometimes it is not possible to solve for y as a function of x in a closed form.
alseth
hey, i have some problems with this diff. equation
dy/dx=(2x+y-3)^(1/2)
i tried to do some substitution
v=2x+y-3
then
dv/dx=2+dy/dx
dy/dx=dv/dx-2
then i substituted back into original equation
dv/dx-2=v^(1/2)
dv/(v^(1/2)+2)=dx
integrated and got something like this
2v^(1/2)-4ln(v^(1/2)+2)=x+c

i do not know whether this is the correct method and what to do with 2v^(1/2)-4ln(v^(1/2)+2)=x+c

thanks for the advice

Physics news on Phys.org
Your solution looks just fine. About all you can do is put v=2x+y-3 back in. Sometimes you get solutions where you can't solve for y as a function of x in a closed form.

1. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is an equation that relates a function to its derivatives. It is used to describe how a system changes over time.

2. Why do we use substitutions to solve differential equations?

Substitutions are used to simplify the differential equation by replacing variables with new ones. This can make the equation easier to solve and can also help to identify patterns and relationships between variables.

3. How do we know which substitution to use?

The choice of substitution depends on the types of variables present in the differential equation. Typically, we try to find a substitution that will eliminate the highest order derivative in the equation.

4. Can we always solve a differential equation using substitutions?

No, not all differential equations can be solved using substitutions. Some equations may require more advanced techniques or may be unsolvable.

5. Are there any tips for solving differential equations with substitutions?

One tip is to try different substitutions until you find one that works. Additionally, pay attention to the initial conditions of the equation and make sure to incorporate them into the solution. It can also be helpful to check your solution by plugging it back into the original equation to ensure it satisfies all the conditions.