1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Diff EQ, i'm confused on plotting this solution! (series)

1. Feb 8, 2006 #1
    Hello everyone. This problem has 4 parts. I got part (a) which is suppose to be the hardest part but i'm confused on how to
    (b) Plot Qn(t) for n = 1...4 observe wether the iterates seem to be converging. Well this is the series solution I got for the differential equation:

Here is the orginal problem and how i got the answer to part (a).

They also say:
    Plot |Q(t)-Qn(t)| for n = 1...4. For each of Q1(t),...,Q4(t), estimate the interval in which it is a reasonably good approximation to the actual solution. A few people asked the professor and he said, solve the Differential equation and hats the answeR? urnt? :cry:
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 8, 2006 #2

Homework Helper

Well, without plotting it I can tell you that (only because I did a very similar problem in reverse a few hours ago)

[tex]\sum_{k=0}^{\infty} \frac{(-1)^{k+1}t^{k+1}}{(k+1)!2^{k-1}} = 4\sum_{k=0}^{\infty} \frac{1}{(k+1)k!}\left( -\frac{t}{2}\right) ^{k+1} = -2\sum_{k=0}^{\infty}\int_{x=0}^{t} \frac{1}{k!}\left( -\frac{x}{2}\right) ^{k} dx = -2\int_{x=0}^{t} \sum_{k=0}^{\infty} \frac{1}{k!}\left( -\frac{x}{2}\right) ^{k} dx = -2\int_{x=0}^{t} e^{-\frac{x}{2}}dx = 4\left( e^{-\frac{t}{2}}-1\right)[/tex]

but your sum started at k=1 and not k=0, so subtract off the k=0 term from both sides, namely

[tex]\mbox{your sum } = 4\left( e^{-\frac{t}{2}}-1\right) -(-2t) = 4e^{-\frac{t}{2}}+2t-4[/tex]

and so (if I haven't gone astray in my calculation)

[tex]Q_n(t)\rightarrow 4e^{-\frac{t}{2}}+2t-4 \mbox{ as }n\rightarrow\infty [/tex]
    which maple confirms.
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2006
  4. Feb 9, 2006 #3
    ahh i c, that does look just like mine!
    So I can say it converges to [tex]Q_n(t)\rightarrow 4e^{-\frac{t}{2}}+2t-4 \mbox{ as }n\rightarrow\infty [/tex]
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?