Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Diff EQ, i'm confused on plotting this solution! (series)

1. Feb 8, 2006 #1
    Hello everyone. This problem has 4 parts. I got part (a) which is suppose to be the hardest part but i'm confused on how to
    (b) Plot Qn(t) for n = 1...4 observe wether the iterates seem to be converging. Well this is the series solution I got for the differential equation:
    http://img267.imageshack.us/img267/9578/lastscan6nh.jpg [Broken]

Here is the orginal problem and how i got the answer to part (a).
    http://img251.imageshack.us/img251/7346/lastscan3rl.jpg [Broken]

They also say:
    Plot |Q(t)-Qn(t)| for n = 1...4. For each of Q1(t),...,Q4(t), estimate the interval in which it is a reasonably good approximation to the actual solution. A few people asked the professor and he said, solve the Differential equation and hats the answeR? urnt? :cry:

Last edited by a moderator: May 2, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 8, 2006 #2

benorin

Homework Helper

Well, without plotting it I can tell you that (only because I did a very similar problem in reverse a few hours ago)

[tex]\sum_{k=0}^{\infty} \frac{(-1)^{k+1}t^{k+1}}{(k+1)!2^{k-1}} = 4\sum_{k=0}^{\infty} \frac{1}{(k+1)k!}\left( -\frac{t}{2}\right) ^{k+1} = -2\sum_{k=0}^{\infty}\int_{x=0}^{t} \frac{1}{k!}\left( -\frac{x}{2}\right) ^{k} dx = -2\int_{x=0}^{t} \sum_{k=0}^{\infty} \frac{1}{k!}\left( -\frac{x}{2}\right) ^{k} dx = -2\int_{x=0}^{t} e^{-\frac{x}{2}}dx = 4\left( e^{-\frac{t}{2}}-1\right)[/tex]

but your sum started at k=1 and not k=0, so subtract off the k=0 term from both sides, namely

[tex]\mbox{your sum } = 4\left( e^{-\frac{t}{2}}-1\right) -(-2t) = 4e^{-\frac{t}{2}}+2t-4[/tex]

and so (if I haven't gone astray in my calculation)

[tex]Q_n(t)\rightarrow 4e^{-\frac{t}{2}}+2t-4 \mbox{ as }n\rightarrow\infty [/tex]
    which maple confirms.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2006
  4. Feb 9, 2006 #3
    ahh i c, that does look just like mine!
    So I can say it converges to [tex]Q_n(t)\rightarrow 4e^{-\frac{t}{2}}+2t-4 \mbox{ as }n\rightarrow\infty [/tex]

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook