Diff EQ, i'm confused on plotting this solution (series)

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with 4 parts, with part (a) being considered the hardest. The speaker is confused about part (b) and asks for clarification on plotting Qn(t). They also mention a series solution for a differential equation and provide a link to the original problem. The professor suggests solving the differential equation to find the answer. The speaker then provides a solution and explains that the sum converges to 4e^(-t/2)+2t-4 as n approaches infinity.
mr_coffee
Hello everyone. This problem has 4 parts. I got part (a) which is suppose to be the hardest part but I'm confused on how to
(b) Plot Qn(t) for n = 1...4 observe wether the iterates seem to be converging. Well this is the series solution I got for the differential equation:
http://img267.imageshack.us/img267/9578/lastscan6nh.jpg

Here is the orginal problem and how i got the answer to part (a).
http://img251.imageshack.us/img251/7346/lastscan3rl.jpg

They also say:
Plot |Q(t)-Qn(t)| for n = 1...4. For each of Q1(t),...,Q4(t), estimate the interval in which it is a reasonably good approximation to the actual solution. A few people asked the professor and he said, solve the Differential equation and hats the answeR? urnt? :cry:

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Well, without plotting it I can tell you that (only because I did a very similar problem in reverse a few hours ago)

[tex]\sum_{k=0}^{\infty} \frac{(-1)^{k+1}t^{k+1}}{(k+1)!2^{k-1}} = 4\sum_{k=0}^{\infty} \frac{1}{(k+1)k!}\left( -\frac{t}{2}\right) ^{k+1} = -2\sum_{k=0}^{\infty}\int_{x=0}^{t} \frac{1}{k!}\left( -\frac{x}{2}\right) ^{k} dx = -2\int_{x=0}^{t} \sum_{k=0}^{\infty} \frac{1}{k!}\left( -\frac{x}{2}\right) ^{k} dx = -2\int_{x=0}^{t} e^{-\frac{x}{2}}dx = 4\left( e^{-\frac{t}{2}}-1\right)[/tex]

but your sum started at k=1 and not k=0, so subtract off the k=0 term from both sides, namely

[tex]\mbox{your sum } = 4\left( e^{-\frac{t}{2}}-1\right) -(-2t) = 4e^{-\frac{t}{2}}+2t-4[/tex]

and so (if I haven't gone astray in my calculation)

[tex]Q_n(t)\rightarrow 4e^{-\frac{t}{2}}+2t-4 \mbox{ as }n\rightarrow\infty [/tex]
which maple confirms.

Last edited:
ahh i c, that does look just like mine!
So I can say it converges to [tex]Q_n(t)\rightarrow 4e^{-\frac{t}{2}}+2t-4 \mbox{ as }n\rightarrow\infty [/tex]

What is a "Diff EQ" and how does it relate to plotting solutions in series?

A "Diff EQ" or differential equation is an equation that relates a function to its derivatives. Plotting solutions in series involves representing the solution to a differential equation as a series of terms.

What is the difference between a series solution and a numerical solution?

A series solution is a representation of the solution to a differential equation as a sum of terms, while a numerical solution involves using numerical methods to approximate the solution at specific points.

How do I plot a series solution for a differential equation?

To plot a series solution, you first need to find the general solution to the differential equation. Then, you can use the coefficients of the series terms to determine the shape of the solution curve.

What does it mean when a series solution diverges?

When a series solution diverges, it means that the terms in the series are getting larger and larger, making the solution curve tend towards infinity. This indicates that the series is not a valid solution to the differential equation.

How can I check the accuracy of a series solution?

One way to check the accuracy of a series solution is to compare it with a numerical solution. You can also check the convergence of the series by testing different values and determining if the series converges to the correct solution.