What is the Laplace transform of tcos4t using the derivative of a transform?

• Thread starter Jtechguy21
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Transform
In summary, the Laplace transform of {tcos4t} can be evaluated using the derivative of a transform, specifically the transform of a derivative. Using the quotient rule, the expression simplifies to \frac{s^2-16}{(s^2+16)^2}, which can also be verified using a Laplace transform table. The -2s^2 term can be combined with the s^2 term to arrive at the final solution.
Jtechguy21

Homework Statement

Evaluate the Laplace of {tcos4t} using the derivative of a transform

Ofcourse i know the shortcut way of doing this, but I need to do it the long way.

Homework Equations

shortcut way
t cos bt = [itex]\frac{s^2-b^2}{(s^2+b^2)^2}[/itex]

long way transform of a derivative
(-1)^n [itex]\frac{d^n}{ds^n}[/itex] F(s)

F(s)=L{f(t)}

The Attempt at a Solution

n=1 f(t)=cos4t
f(s)= Laplace of cos4t

L{cos4t}= [itex]\frac{s}{s^2+16}[/itex]

-[itex]\frac{d}{ds}[/itex] [itex]\frac{s}{s^2+16}[/itex]

Quotient rule

-[itex]\frac{s^2+16-2s^2}{(s^2+16)^2}[/itex]

This is as far as I get on my own.

In my notes for class she's goes a step further and I'm not quite sure what happens to the
-2s^2 in the next step

my notes continue as follows:
-[itex]\frac{-s^2+16}{(s^2+16)^2}[/itex]

now we distribute the negative

and get
[itex]\frac{s^2-16}{(s^2+16)^2}[/itex]

I checked the answer using a Laplace transform table(easy way) and did receive [itex]\frac{s^2-16}{(s^2+16)^2}[/itex]

but when i do it the long way i don't know what happens to -2s^2

Physics news on Phys.org
wow I am so stupid. i missed such an easy thing. combing the like terms s^2 and -2s^2. i get it now.

1. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that relates the rates of change of one or more variables. It is commonly used to model natural phenomena and is an important tool in many fields of science.

2. What is the Laplace transform?

The Laplace transform is a mathematical tool used to solve differential equations by transforming them from the time domain to the frequency domain. It is particularly useful for solving linear differential equations with constant coefficients.

3. How is the Laplace transform used to solve differential equations?

The Laplace transform is used by first applying it to both sides of a given differential equation, resulting in an algebraic equation in the transformed variable. This equation can then be solved for the transformed variable, and then the inverse Laplace transform is applied to find the solution in the time domain.

4. What are the advantages of using the Laplace transform to solve differential equations?

The Laplace transform allows for the solution of complex differential equations that may be difficult or impossible to solve using other methods. It also provides a more efficient and systematic approach to solving differential equations compared to traditional methods.

5. What are some real-world applications of the Laplace transform?

The Laplace transform has many real-world applications, including in electrical engineering, physics, and control systems. It is used to analyze and design electronic circuits, model physical systems, and control the behavior of systems such as robots and airplanes. It is also used in signal processing and image processing applications.