Solving Orthogonal Trajectories of a Family of Curves

In summary, the problem is to determine the orthogonal trajectories of a given family of curves. The first step is to find the derivative of the equation, which is incorrectly written as -1/2(2ln|x|+C)(2/x). The correct derivative is 1/xy. The power should not be negative. An easier method is to square the original equation and differentiate it with respect to y. The resulting equation is 2yy' = 2/x. By expressing y' and taking its negative reciprocal, the differential equation for the trajectories can be solved easily.
Maxwell
Here is the problem:

Determine the orthogonal trajectories of the given family of curves.

[tex] y = \sqrt{2\ln{|x|}+C} [/tex]

This is what I've done so far:

[tex] y = (2\ln{|x|}+C)^\frac{-1}{2} [/tex]

[tex] y' = -1/2(2\ln{|x|+C)(2/x) [/tex]

Now I understand to find the orthogonal lines I need to divide -1 by whatever I get, the problem is, I can't simplify this derivative.

I've messed around with it a bit, and I have this:

[tex] -(2\ln{|x|}+C)/x [/tex]

How else can I simplify this?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
First, your derivative is incorrect. Your final result may be written as

[tex]y' = \frac {1}{xy}[/tex]

Does that help?

Last edited:
Maxwell said:
Here is the problem:

Determine the orthogonal trajectories of the given family of curves.

[tex] y = \sqrt{2\ln{|x|}+C} [/tex]

This is what I've done so far:

[tex] y = (2\ln{|x|}+C)^\frac{-1}{2} [/tex]

Why is the power negative?

There is an easier way. Just square the original equation, and differentiate with respect to y.

[tex]y^2=2\ln{|x|}+C[/tex]

[tex]2yy'=\frac{2}{x}[/tex].
express y', take the negative reciprocal and you get the differential equation for the trajectories. Solve, it is easy.

ehild

1. What are orthogonal trajectories?

Orthogonal trajectories refer to a set of curves that intersect at right angles. These curves are obtained by finding a family of curves that are perpendicular to another family of curves, known as the base curves.

2. Why is it important to solve for orthogonal trajectories?

Solving for orthogonal trajectories is important in various fields such as physics, engineering, and mathematics. It helps in understanding the relationships between different systems and finding solutions to complex problems.

3. How do you solve for orthogonal trajectories?

To solve for orthogonal trajectories, you need to first determine the base curves and then use the method of differentiation to find the slope of the curves. Finally, set the slope of the base curves equal to the negative reciprocal of the slope of the orthogonal trajectories to obtain the equation of the curves.

4. What are some real-life applications of orthogonal trajectories?

Orthogonal trajectories have various real-life applications, such as in the design of electrical circuits, heat conduction problems, and fluid dynamics. They are also used in fields like architecture, where they help in designing structures that can withstand external forces at right angles.

5. Are there any limitations to solving for orthogonal trajectories?

Yes, there are some limitations to solving for orthogonal trajectories. In some cases, it may not be possible to find an exact solution due to the complexity of the equations involved. Additionally, the method of solving for orthogonal trajectories may not always be applicable, and alternative methods may need to be used.