1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Diff. Eqs. Wronskian question

1. Mar 18, 2013 #1
    urgent Diff. Eqs. Wronskian question

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    See attached image- it's a lot easier.

2. Relevant equations
    We know that when the wronskina = 0, it is linearly dependent on most points, and if it is not equal to 0, then the solutions form a fundamental set of solutions because they are linearly independent on all points.

3. The attempt at a solution

I am confused because it doesn't give solutions, just the initial values...do i have to go and FIND each solution (3) by order or reduction or something? Why did it give me those initial values?

Quick help is much appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 18, 2013 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No, you don't have to compute the solutions. They gave you the initial values so you could compute the wronskian at x=0. That tells you something about linear independence. And you can also use them for the second part to figure which combination of y1, y2 and y3 will give you y. Write y(x)=a*y1(x)+b*y2(x)+c*y3(x). Figure out what a, b and c are.

4. Mar 18, 2013 #3
    Figured it out, thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted