Exploring the Odd Symmetrical Nature of a 1/2 Wave Function

But, I was trying to intuitively understand what the formal definition was saying. So, I was trying to make a function with half-wave symmetry (in my head) and see what happened. I think I understand it now. If you have a linear ramp, and you simply reflect it about the vertical axis, you still have a linear ramp. So, you have to flip it over the x-axis as well. Then, you get half-wave symmetry.In summary, a 1/2 wave odd symmetrical function is one where each half cycle is a mirror image of the next. However, in order to have this symmetry, the function must not only be symmetrical about the vertical axis, but also be
p75213

Homework Statement

The book defines a 1/2 wave odd symmetrical function as each 1/2 cycle is a mirror image of the next.
[tex]\begin{array}{l}
{a_0} = 0 \\
{a_n} = {\textstyle{4 \over T}}\int_0^{{\raise0.5ex\hbox{$\scriptstyle T$}
\kern-0.1em/\kern-0.15em
\lower0.25ex\hbox{$\scriptstyle 2$}}} {f(t)\cos n{w_0}t\,dt} {\rm{ - > for n odd}} \\
{a_n} = 0{\rm{ - > for }}n{\rm{ even}} \\
{b_n} = {\textstyle{4 \over T}}\int_0^{{\raise0.5ex\hbox{$\scriptstyle T$}
\kern-0.1em/\kern-0.15em
\lower0.25ex\hbox{$\scriptstyle 2$}}} {f(t)\sin n{w_0}t\,dt} {\rm{ - > for n odd}} \\
{b_n} = 0{\rm{ - > for }}n{\rm{ even}} \\
\end{array}[/tex]

An odd symmetrical function is described as being symmetrical about the vertical axis. f(-t)=-f(t).
[tex]\begin{array}{l}
{a_0} = 0 \\
{a_n} = 0 \\
{b_n} = {\textstyle{4 \over T}}\int_0^{{\raise0.5ex\hbox{$\scriptstyle T$}
\kern-0.1em/\kern-0.15em
\lower0.25ex\hbox{$\scriptstyle 2$}}} {f(t)\sin n{w_0}t\,dt} \\
\end{array}[/tex]

Given this I would therefore categorize the attached periodic function as 1/2 wave odd symmetrical. However the book uses the odd symmetrical category and the corresponding formulas.
Can somebody explain why it is odd symmetrical and not 1/2 wave odd symmetrical?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Attachments

• ScreenHunter_01 Jul. 25 23.19.gif
    ScreenHunter_01 Jul. 25 23.19.gif
    4.8 KB · Views: 1,641
Physics news on Phys.org

Although I wouldn't claim to be really sure, based on what I found out from reading here:

http://cnx.org/content/m32877/latest/

It sounds like a signal with half-wave odd symmetry does not necessarily have to have an odd or even symmetry. However, in this case, it DOES have odd symmetry ( f(t) = -f(-t) ), therefore, an additional simplification to the equations for the Fourier series coefficients is possible.

By the way, your choice of LaTeX syntax is...interesting. Why not try something like this?$$a_n = \frac{4}{T}\int_0^{T/2} f(t) \cos(n \omega_0 t)\,dt \longrightarrow \textrm{for}~n~\textrm{odd}$$Right click and then select "Show Math As > TeX Commands" to see the code.

Because: take points x = 0 and x = π, then go in the +x direction for both points. If there was half-wave symmetry, as you go in the +x direction, the function would go more negative as you increase above x = π, as it goes more positive as you increase above x = 0. But it doesn't. As you go above π it goes more positive, just as it does as you go above 0.

rude man said:
Because: take points x = 0 and x = π, then go in the +x direction for both points. If there was half-wave symmetry, as you go in the +x direction, the function would go more negative as you increase above x = π, as it goes more positive as you increase above x = 0. But it doesn't. As you go above π it goes more positive, just as it does as you go above 0.

I think this function does have half-wave symmetry, does it not? At least according to the definition given in the link from my first post, the requirement is that x(t) = -x(t + T/2) where T is the period (2π in this instance). Take t = π/2 as an example. x(π/2) = 1.5, and it's clear that x(π/2 + π) = x(3π/2) = -1.5, in accordance with the requirement. It seems obvious that this would be true for any value of t that lies in the first linear ramp (it would be mapped to the equivalent point on the negative of that linear ramp, half a cycle later).

This also fits in with the OP's conception of it as each half cycle being the negative of the preceding one.

EDIT: NO! I see that I'm wrong (particularly with what I said in red). For instance x(0) = 1, whereas x(π) = -2 (not -1). So each point is not mapped to its negative on the next half cycle. The ramp would have to be inverted in slope as well, in order for this to be true (I see that you already stated this). So I was wrong. The function doesn't have half-wave symmetry in this case. My mistake.

Last edited:

No sweat, cepheid! You were right in giving us the formal definition of half-wave symmetry, to wit, f(t+T/2) = -f(t).

I agree. The surest method is to just go with the formal definition.

Related to Exploring the Odd Symmetrical Nature of a 1/2 Wave Function

1. What is a 1/2 wave function?

A 1/2 wave function is a mathematical concept that describes the behavior of a wave in space. It represents the amplitude of a wave at a specific point in space and time.

2. Why is the symmetrical nature of a 1/2 wave function important?

The symmetrical nature of a 1/2 wave function is important because it allows us to accurately predict the behavior of waves and understand the underlying principles of wave mechanics.

3. How does the symmetrical nature of a 1/2 wave function affect wave interference?

The symmetrical nature of a 1/2 wave function plays a crucial role in wave interference. It dictates the points at which waves will constructively or destructively interfere, leading to patterns such as standing waves.

4. Can the symmetrical nature of a 1/2 wave function be observed in real-life phenomena?

Yes, the symmetrical nature of a 1/2 wave function can be observed in various real-life phenomena, such as sound waves, light waves, and electromagnetic waves. It is a fundamental aspect of wave behavior and is present in many natural and man-made systems.

5. How is the symmetrical nature of a 1/2 wave function used in practical applications?

The symmetrical nature of a 1/2 wave function has many practical applications, such as in the design of antennas, musical instruments, and medical imaging devices. It also plays a crucial role in understanding and developing technologies such as radar, sonar, and fiber optics.