Difference between Civil Engineering Physics and non C.E. Physics?

In summary, the conversation discusses the differences between a civil engineering degree and a physics degree, specifically engineering physics. The speakers also mention the difficulty and career opportunities of each program, as well as their personal preferences. They also mention the potential confusion between the terms "Civil Engineering" and "Civilingenjör" in Swedish. Finally, there is a brief mention of Stockholm University's physics program.
Okki2
Whats the difference? i know that after 3 years you become a c.e. but what about the other one? Dont know which one to apply for.

Physics news on Phys.org
nobody wants to answer?

Hello, I am a civil engineer doing a MSc in Transportation Engineering.

I don't understand your question. What do you mean?

I could take Civil Engineering in Physics (aka technical physics) its 5years or i could take physics in university which doesn't give a civil engineering degree.

Here is the civil engineering description:
http://www.kth.se/studies/swedish-programmes/msc/1.7784?l=en_UK

The other one is just called Physics.

Last edited by a moderator:
So what you're asking is what is the difference between being a civil engineering degree and physics?

yes C.E in physics and physics.

Well civil engineers design roads, airports, bridges, dams etc. So logically CE physics would be the physics of those structures. You would mostly cover statics and solids, heat transfer, oscillations, wave theory etc... However, physics is just what it says, physics. My guess is the program you are looking at could be diverse and include some of the aforementioned topics and more, such as modern physics, intro to quantum mech, electricity and other cool stuff physicists do.

Oh and thermodynamics would be common to them both

But upperlevel classes in that school for CE physics is anyone's guess though but I just listed a few focus topics

hmm which one is better? cause getting into the ce physics programm is 10times harder.

I can't give you the answer to that, you have to answer a few questions for yourself first.

Do you like Engineering? Do you want to be an engineer in any way? Even if it were simply a CE physicist.

What about physics? Do you like physics more? Do you want to be a 'pure' physicist?

Okki2 said:
I could take Civil Engineering in Physics (aka technical physics) its 5years or i could take physics in university which doesn't give a civil engineering degree.

Here is the civil engineering description:
http://www.kth.se/studies/swedish-programmes/msc/1.7784?l=en_UK

The other one is just called Physics.

This link is Engineering Physics...

Engineering Physics is not Civil Engineering... well ok, THEY DIFFER in some courses.

http://www.kth.se/studies/swedish-programmes/msc/1.7601?l=en_UK <- That is the CE program.

Well, i don't know what physics engineers do (probably go to grad school like the physicists...), but it probably is very different from what Civil Engineers do.

Civil engineers use their knowledge to solve structural challenges (buildings, dams, roads, etc..), to solve transportation phenomena (traffic congestion, public transit systems, ...), to solve water resources management problems (aqueducts design, ...), focus on environmental concerns (Waste water treatment, ...), and many more.

If you want to study Civil engineering because of its physics then you should not pick Civil engineering... Study PHYSICS.

Good luck

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmm good point there

There is no such as "Civil Engineering Physics", my guess is that Okki2 is Swedish (since the link was to KTH) and he/she is confusing the term "Civilingenjör" (which literally translates to Civil Engineering, but actually means something that is roughly an MSc, quite similar to the German "DiplomIngenieur") with "Civil Engineering" (which would be "Civilingenjör i Väg&Vatten" in Swedish).

What courses you need to take to get a MSc in Engineering Physics differs from university to university. But Engineering Physics Chalmers and KTH in Sweden it essentially an "advanced" degree where you in addition to physics take a lot of math courses (more than in an ordinary Physics Program) +some engineering courses (some electronics, control theory etc). During the second part of the program you start to specialize and there is nothing stopping you from going into theoretical physics; i.e. it doesn't have to be "applied" physics in any sense (e.g. Max Tegmark studied at KTH, and I don't think anyone would call what he is doing "applied") .

I would hesitate to call Engineering Physics an "elite education" but it certainly has that reputation if you study at KTH/Chalmers. Most PhD students (and researchers) in Physics in Sweden studied engineering physics as undergraduates, so F at KTH/Chalmers is definitely a good idea if you are planning to pursue a career in academic research.

djeitnstine said:
I can't give you the answer to that, you have to answer a few questions for yourself first.

Do you like Engineering? Do you want to be an engineer in any way? Even if it were simply a CE physicist.

What about physics? Do you like physics more? Do you want to be a 'pure' physicist?

i don't like anything except eating popcorn and watching steve wilkos. but i have to choose.

thanks for the info guys...you've been a big help.

What do you guys know about Stockholm University and their physics program?

1. What is the main difference between Civil Engineering Physics and non C.E. Physics?

Civil Engineering Physics is a specialized branch of physics that focuses on the application of physics principles to the design and construction of buildings, bridges, roads, and other structures. Non C.E. Physics, on the other hand, covers a broader range of topics and applications, including mechanics, electromagnetism, thermodynamics, and optics.

2. What types of courses are typically included in a Civil Engineering Physics program?

A Civil Engineering Physics program may include courses in structural mechanics, materials science, fluid mechanics, environmental physics, and geotechnical engineering, among others. These courses are specifically tailored to provide students with a strong foundation in physics principles that are relevant to the field of civil engineering.

3. Is there a difference in job prospects between a degree in Civil Engineering Physics and a degree in non C.E. Physics?

While both degrees can lead to various career opportunities in the field of physics, a degree in Civil Engineering Physics may provide more specialized job prospects in the construction and design industry. This is because the program is specifically designed to equip students with the knowledge and skills needed to apply physics principles to real-world engineering problems.

4. Are the math requirements different for Civil Engineering Physics compared to non C.E. Physics?

Both Civil Engineering Physics and non C.E. Physics programs typically have similar math requirements, as both fields heavily rely on mathematical principles. However, a Civil Engineering Physics program may have a stronger focus on specific math topics, such as calculus and differential equations, that are directly applicable to civil engineering problems.

5. Can a degree in Civil Engineering Physics lead to a career in non C.E. industries?

Yes, a degree in Civil Engineering Physics can lead to various career opportunities in non C.E. industries, such as renewable energy, aerospace, and defense. The strong foundational knowledge in physics and problem-solving skills acquired in this program can be applied to a wide range of fields, making graduates highly versatile and marketable in the job market.