Difference between electronic and digital

In summary, electronic dictionaries, diaries, and other similar devices all use digital electronic circuitry. While analog electronics is still used in some sensors, most devices now rely on digital circuitry for performance and cost reasons. A transducer is a device that converts one form of energy into another, and is commonly used in sensors.
jackson6612
I have seen most people say electronic dictionary, diary etc. I often confuses the terms. Since long time I have referred to my handheld Franklin dictionary as digital dictionary. Am I wrong?

Engineering news on Phys.org
jackson6612 said:
I have seen most people say electronic dictionary, diary etc. I often confuses the terms. Since long time I have referred to my handheld Franklin dictionary as digital dictionary. Am I wrong?

Everybody is right in this case.

Your Franklin uses digital electronic circuitry. Digital and analog are the traditional two areas of electronics. Analog electronics deals with continuous waveforms, like for radio and TV circuits. However, many analog functions have been replaced with digital equivalents, for reasons of performance and cost.

For the most part, the circuitry in a computer or a Franklin is digital, with only a little bit of supporting analog circuitry (like in the power supply).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_electronics

Lately where I see analog electronics the most are in sensors. This is because of the variablility of voltage amplitudes you get when sensing something using a transducer which produces electric signals from heat or pressure or light any number of effects to monitor.

A transducer is a term I rarely see mentioned anymore. It means a device to turn one form of energy into another. This happens in a lot in sensors. For example a photocell to detect light by turning it into an electronic signal.

Last edited:

Difference between Electronic and Digital

Electronic and digital are terms often used in technology and electronics. They have distinct meanings and applications. Let's explore the differences between electronic and digital:

Q1: What Does "Electronic" Refer To?

The term "electronic" refers to the use of electronic components, devices, or systems that operate using the flow of electrons. Electronics deal with the control and manipulation of electrical currents, voltages, and signals. Examples include transistors, diodes, and analog circuits.

Q2: What Does "Digital" Refer To?

"Digital" refers to a representation of data or information using discrete values, typically binary (0 and 1). Digital systems use discrete signals to process and transmit information. Digital technology is characterized by quantized, non-continuous data.

Q3: How Do Electronic and Digital Devices Differ?

Electronic devices may operate in analog or digital modes. Analog electronic devices process signals that vary continuously over time, such as in audio amplifiers. Digital devices, on the other hand, operate using discrete, binary signals, making them well-suited for tasks involving data storage, computation, and communication.

Q4: Can a Device Be Both Electronic and Digital?

Yes, many modern devices incorporate both electronic and digital components. For example, a smartphone contains electronic components like transistors and capacitors (electronic) but also runs on digital processors and uses digital data storage and communication.

Q5: What Are Examples of Electronic Devices?

Examples of electronic devices include analog radios, analog cameras, and analog televisions. These devices use continuous electrical signals for their operation and may not have digital components.

Q6: What Are Examples of Digital Devices?

Digital devices include computers, smartphones, digital cameras, and digital televisions. These devices process and store data in discrete, binary form, allowing for precise computation and data manipulation.

Q7: How Does Sound Differ in Electronic and Digital Systems?

In electronic systems, sound may be represented in analog form as continuous waveforms. In digital systems, sound is represented as a series of discrete digital samples. Digital audio is widely used for its clarity and ease of processing.

Q8: What Are the Advantages of Digital Technology?

Digital technology offers advantages such as accuracy, reliability, and the ability to store and transmit data efficiently. It allows for error correction, compression, and precise control in various applications.

Q9: When Would You Use Electronic Technology?

Electronic technology is used when dealing with continuous or analog signals, such as in audio amplification, radio transmission, and analog sensors. It is suitable for applications where smooth signal processing is critical.

Q10: When Would You Use Digital Technology?

Digital technology is employed in applications involving data processing, storage, and communication. It is ideal for tasks like data encryption, image processing, numerical simulations, and computer programming.

In summary, "electronic" refers to the use of electronic components and continuous signals, while "digital" refers to discrete binary representations of data. Devices can incorporate both electronic and digital elements, and the choice depends on the specific requirements of a given application.