What is the current relationship between resistors in parallel?

In summary, the current through the resistor in parallel is equal to the current through the resistor in series multiplied by the equivalent resistance of the two resistors in parallel.
3inst3in

Homework Statement

I have a circuit with two resistors in series that are in parallel to another resistor. Each resistor is 5Ω. The total current running through the series is 4amps. I need to find the current in the single resistor that is in parallel. What is the relationship among these three resistors in regard to current??

Homework Equations

for series Itotal=I1=I2=I3

The Attempt at a Solution

for parallel Itotal=I1+I2+I3

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the voltage drop through each branch of resistors in parallel?

I believe that something that could be useful here is the fact that voltage is the same across all elements that are parallel to one another in a circuit. I'm just not sure what you mean by the total current running through the series is 4 amps. Do you mean that the total current running through the resistor that is in series with the two resistors in parallel is 4 amps? It would be helpful to see a circuit diagram to answer this question.

3inst3in said:

Homework Statement

I have a circuit with two resistors in series that are in parallel to another resistor. Each resistor is 5Ω. The total current running through the series is 4amps. I need to find the current in the single resistor that is in parallel. What is the relationship among these three resistors in regard to current??

Homework Equations

for series Itotal=I1=I2=I3

The Attempt at a Solution

for parallel Itotal=I1+I2+I3
Apply Ohm's law to determine the voltage across the two series resistors.

How is that voltage related to the voltage across the other branch with the single resistor? Apply Ohm's law to determine the current through that branch.

AM

The total current running through the series is 4amps.

Thats ambiguous...

1) If you mean the current through the two resistors in series is 4 amps then... Work out the voltage drop across the two in series. The same voltage drop is across the one in parallel.

2) If you mean the total of the current in the whole circuit is 4 amps then.. Work out the equivalent resistance of (5+5)//5 and then use Ohms law to calculate the voltage drop.

CWatters said:
Thats ambiguous...

1) If you mean the current through the two resistors in series is 4 amps then... Work out the voltage drop across the two in series. The same voltage drop is across the one in parallel.

2) If you mean the total of the current in the whole circuit is 4 amps then.. Work out the equivalent resistance of (5+5)//5 and then use Ohms law to calculate the voltage drop.

oops, yes, I meant that the current in the whole circuit is 4amps.
ahh... and I completely forgot about voltage...
I am given that ε=20V which makes the question a lot simpler now
& thanks everyone for responding!

Related to What is the current relationship between resistors in parallel?

What is the purpose of connecting resistors in parallel?

Connecting resistors in parallel allows for the total resistance in a circuit to decrease, allowing for more current to flow through the circuit. This can be beneficial in reducing voltage drops and increasing the overall efficiency of the circuit.

How do you calculate the total resistance of resistors in parallel?

The total resistance of resistors in parallel can be calculated using the following formula: 1/Rt = 1/R1 + 1/R2 + 1/R3 + ... + 1/Rn, where Rt is the total resistance and R1 - Rn are the individual resistances. Alternatively, you can use the equivalent resistance formula: Rt = (R1 * R2 * R3 * ... * Rn)/(R1 + R2 + R3 + ... + Rn).

What happens to the voltage across each resistor in a parallel circuit?

In a parallel circuit, the voltage across each resistor remains the same. This is because each resistor has its own separate path for current to flow, so the voltage drop across each resistor is equal.

How does the total current in a parallel circuit compare to the individual currents in each branch?

The total current in a parallel circuit is equal to the sum of the individual currents in each branch. This is because the current is divided between the different branches, but the total amount of current flowing through the circuit remains the same.

What is the effect of adding more resistors in parallel to a circuit?

Adding more resistors in parallel to a circuit will decrease the total resistance and increase the total current. This can be beneficial in certain situations, such as when trying to power multiple devices with different voltage requirements.