Difference btn flows in a circle vs. rect.

In summary, the individual is trying to bypass an existing rectangular sewer pipe with a circular pipe. They are comparing the surface areas of the two pipes, with the circular pipe having a surface area of 28.3 square feet and the rectangular pipe having a surface area of 32.2 square feet when using the hydraulic diameter. They ask if this is possible and if it is due to the smoother flow and reduced turbulence in circular pipes. They also mention that circular pipes are more commonly used in piping systems for liquids due to their smoother flow and easier workability.
jrnewma
I am looking to bypass an existing sewer pipe with another pipe. The existing pipe is rectangular, approximately 9'x5'. I am looking to use a circular bypass pipe of 6' diameter. Since the velocity of "water" flowing thru the pipe will be the same then I need to compare the surface areas, correct? The surface area of the 6' diameter pipe is 28.3 SF. Normally to find the surface area of the rectangle I would take l*w to get 45 SF BUT since I am comparing flows do I need to use Hydraulic Diameter of the rectangular pipe and then find the surface area using pi*r^2? Doing it that way I get a surface area of 32.2 SF.
Can I do that? Is that because the flows thru a circular pipe has less turbulence? thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
the majority of piping systems specially in liquids using round pipe to make the flow is smoother and reducing eddy losses also because of the hydraulic diameter and also case of pipes fittings it will be easier to work on a circle than a rectang

1. What is the difference between flows in a circle and flows in a rectangle?

Flows in a circle refer to circular motion or movement in a circular path, while flows in a rectangle refer to linear motion or movement in a straight path along the edges of a rectangular shape.

2. How do flows in a circle and flows in a rectangle differ in terms of direction?

Flows in a circle usually involve a continuous and repeated circular motion, while flows in a rectangle can involve movement in different directions, such as back and forth or side to side.

3. Are there any differences in the forces involved in flows in a circle and flows in a rectangle?

In general, flows in a circle involve centripetal forces that keep an object moving in a circular path, while flows in a rectangle may involve various forces depending on the direction and speed of the movement.

4. Can the speed of flows in a circle and flows in a rectangle be compared?

The speed of flows in a circle can be measured in terms of angular velocity, while the speed of flows in a rectangle can be measured in terms of linear velocity. These are two different types of measurements and cannot be directly compared.

5. How are flows in a circle and flows in a rectangle relevant to different fields of study?

Flows in a circle are commonly used in physics to describe circular motion, while flows in a rectangle are often used in engineering and architecture to design and analyze structures and systems that involve linear movement.