Different formulae for moment of inertia

In summary, the formula for moment of inertia is ##I = MR^2##, but there are also other formulas for different objects that can be derived through integration. The formula ##I = MR^2## is used for objects rotating about their center, specifically for a uniform ring where each particle has the same distance from the axis of rotation. To calculate moment of inertia for more complex objects, integration can be used by representing the object as a set of points and summing up the infinitesimal moments of inertia for each point. This can be seen in the example of determining the moment of inertia for a solid cylinder about its central axis.
Zynoakib
I know the formula for moment of inertia is but there are I = MR^2 but there are also formulae for different objects as shown in the picture.
mifull.jpg

So, how and when do you use I = MR^2 ? Just in case of (a)?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
The moment of inertia is a sum of all ##mr^2## for the particles in the system (or an integral for a continuous system of masses). The formulas you posted can all be derived by integrating.

Zynoakib said:
So, how and when do you use I = MR^2 ? Just in case of (a)?

For an object rotating about its center the uniform ring is the only one for which the moment of inertia is the ##MR^2## This is because each particle has the same distance from the axis of rotation so the sum essentially amounts to summing over all of the masses.

Likes Zynoakib
Thanks! Nice and clear.

I just want to get a little deep into this and present what brainpushups said mathematically, any object can be represented at a set of points, each of these point have a moment of inertia ## \delta I = \delta m\cdot r^2 ## (this is true because they are points each of mass delta m), and we know that ## I_{net} = \sum \limits_i \delta I ##, if we want to sum infinetely small quantities, our best option would be an integral so ## I_{net} = \int \delta I = \int r^2 dm ## .
For example if you want to determine to moment of intertia of a solid cylinder about its central axis, you start by defining ## \rho = \frac{m}{V} = \frac {m}{\pi R^2L} ## so that ## dm = \rho dV = \rho r\cdot dr\cdot d\theta\cdot dz ## and then set the boundaries, for example ## 0 \leftarrow r \rightarrow R, 0 \leftarrow \theta \rightarrow 2\pi ## and ## 0 \leftarrow z \rightarrow L ## and finally integrate ## I_{net} = \rho \int_0^L \int_0^{2\pi} \int_0^R r^3 \cdot dr\cdot d\theta\cdot dz = 2\pi L\rho \int_0^R r^3 \cdot dr = 2\pi L\cdot \frac {m}{\pi R^2L} \cdot \frac{R^4}{4} = \frac{1}{2} mR^2 ## Cheers :D

Likes Zynoakib

1. What is the definition of moment of inertia?

The moment of inertia is a physical property of an object that measures its resistance to rotational motion. It is defined as the sum of the products of each particle's mass and its square of distance from the axis of rotation.

2. How does the moment of inertia differ from mass?

The moment of inertia and mass are two different physical properties of an object. Mass measures the amount of matter in an object, while moment of inertia measures its resistance to rotational motion. In other words, mass describes an object's inertia in linear motion, while moment of inertia describes its inertia in rotational motion.

3. What are the different formulae for moment of inertia?

The different formulae for moment of inertia depend on the shape and axis of rotation of the object. Some commonly used formulae include the moment of inertia of a point mass, a hoop or ring, a solid cylinder, and a rectangular plate.

4. How do you calculate the moment of inertia of a composite object?

To calculate the moment of inertia of a composite object, you can use the parallel axes theorem. This theorem states that the moment of inertia of a composite object is equal to the sum of the individual moments of inertia of its components, each calculated with respect to its own axis of rotation, plus the product of each component's mass and the square of the distance between the two axes.

5. Why is moment of inertia an important concept in physics?

Moment of inertia is an important concept in physics because it helps us understand how objects rotate and how they respond to external forces. It is also crucial in many engineering applications, such as designing machines and structures that can withstand rotational forces.