1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Differentiability on R

1. Jan 8, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Suppose f:(0,[tex]\infty[/tex])->R and f(x)-f(y)=f(x/y) for all x,y in (0,[tex]\infty[/tex]) and f(1)=0. Prove f is continuous on (0,[tex]\infty[/tex]) iff f is continuous at 1.
    2. Relevant equations
    I think I ought to use these defn's of continuity: f continuous at a iff f(x)->f(a) as x->a
    or f is cont at a iff for Xn->a, f(Xn)-f(a) as Xn->[tex]\infty[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    The forward direction is immediate. For the backwards direction, we want to show that f(x)->f(a) as x->a for a in (0,[tex]\infty[/tex]). So since f cont at 1, f(x)->f(1)=0 as x->1. I tried to manipulate this but couldn't find a way to make x->a instead of x->1.

Then I used the other definition and let Xn=1+1/n and Yn=a(Xn)=a+(a/n). Now Yn->a so just want to show that f(Yn)->f(a) as n->[tex]\infty[/tex]. But f(Yn)->a*0=0 as n->[tex]\infty[/tex]...

I know I have to use f(x)-f(y)=f(x/y) somehow. So I went backwards: So I want to show that f(x)-f(a)->0 as x->a. So that means I want f(x/a)->0 as x->a. But now I don't see how to incorporate the fact that f is continuous at a.

I know this is related to the log function but don't think this problem requires me to appeal that fact.... Note Xn and Yn are sequences indexed by n (I'm noob at this latex).

Thanks for helping.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 8, 2008 #2
    take any a in (0, inf), then a !=0 so x/a makes sense and we have f(x) - f(a) = f(x/a), so f(x) = f(x/a) + f(a), now take the limit as x->a. Note as x->a, x/a -> 1

4. Jan 9, 2008 #3
    Thank you, Dan. It makes so much sense now.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?