Differential equation and substitution

In summary, the notes say to use u=cosθ to get \frac{d}{du} but I'm having trouble getting the 1-u^{2} to come out.
Pomico
This is a step from my notes that I don't follow. I have sin[tex]\theta[/tex][tex]\frac{d}{d\theta}[/tex](sin[tex]\theta[/tex][tex]\frac{d\Theta}{d\theta}[/tex]) and that, when substituting u=cos[tex]\theta[/tex] and writing that [tex]\Theta[/tex]([tex]\theta[/tex])=P(u), [tex]\frac{d}{du}[/tex]((1-u[tex]^{2}[/tex])[tex]\frac{dP}{du}[/tex]) is obtained.

I can see [tex]\frac{d\Theta}{d\theta}[/tex]=[tex]\frac{dP}{du}[/tex] for the far RHS but can't get the 1-u[tex]^{2}[/tex] to come out. I don't really remember how to do this though I'm sure I have been able to at some point so a starting tip would be much appreciated! The main trap I keep falling in is the temptation to try something with chain rule to get rid of all those d[tex]\theta[/tex] bits in the original equation. I know I'm not supposed to as I'm just supposed to be substituting, not solving, but I'm not sure how else to go about it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Pomico! :smile:

(have a theta: θ :wink:)
Pomico said:
This is a step from my notes that I don't follow. I have sin[tex]\theta[/tex][tex]\frac{d}{d\theta}[/tex](sin[tex]\theta[/tex][tex]\frac{d\Theta}{d\theta}[/tex]) and that, when substituting u=cos[tex]\theta[/tex] and writing that [tex]\Theta[/tex]([tex]\theta[/tex])=P(u), [tex]\frac{d}{du}[/tex]((1-u[tex]^{2}[/tex])[tex]\frac{dP}{du}[/tex]) is obtained.

I can see [tex]\frac{d\Theta}{d\theta}[/tex]=[tex]\frac{dP}{du}[/tex] for the far RHS but can't get the 1-u[tex]^{2}[/tex] to come out.

Using the chain rule, sinθ d/dθ = sin2θ d/du.

(but I don't see how to get the whole thing :redface: … are you sure it isn't 1/sinθ on the left?)

tiny-tim said:
Using the chain rule, sinθ d/dθ = sin2θ d/du.
tiny-tim,
Maybe I'm missing something here, but the line above doesn't make sense to me.

Pomico,
Is there really a need to use uppercase and lowercase versions of the same letter? I.e., [itex]\Theta[/itex] and [itex]\theta[/itex].

hmm … u = cosθ, so du/dθ = -sinθ,

so d/du = dθ/du d/dθ = -1/sinθ d/dθ,

so sin2θ d/du = -sinθ d/dθ

… ok, i missed out a minus sign :redface:

tiny-tim said:
(but I don't see how to get the whole thing :redface: … are you sure it isn't 1/sinθ on the left?)

Hi!
It's definitely not a reciprocal in the notes, that was one of the things bothering me

Mark44 said:
Pomico,
Is there really a need to use uppercase and lowercase versions of the same letter? I.e., [itex]\Theta[/itex] and [itex]\theta[/itex].

Yes there is, this is only part of the problem covered in the notes. Earlier on there was a function F(θ,[tex]\phi[/tex]) which was split into variables as
F(θ,[tex]\phi[/tex]) = [tex]\Theta[/tex](θ)[tex]\Phi[/tex]([tex]\phi[/tex])

The equation in my first post isn't the full equation, just the first term. I don't think the rest will change anything but in case I've added an attachment of the lecture - the derivation I'm working from covers mostly pages 3 and 4 of the document. I don't know how to just include these two pages so sorry for adding the whole thing!

Attachments

• atomic_physics2.pdf
    449.2 KB · Views: 238
Try this. Consider the substitution [tex]\Theta(\theta)=P(u)[/tex]

You want to find [tex]\frac{d\Theta}{d\theta}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{d\Theta}{d\theta} = \frac{dP(u)}{d\theta} = \frac{dP(u)}{du} \frac{du}{d\theta}[/tex]

You can get [tex]\frac{du}{d\theta}[/tex] from your substitution of u=cos([tex]\theta[/tex]). Also sin([tex]\theta[/tex]) = "something with u", using a well known trig identity.

tiny-tim said:
hmm … u = cosθ, so du/dθ = -sinθ,

so d/du = dθ/du d/dθ = -1/sinθ d/dθ,

so sin2θ d/du = -sinθ d/dθ

… ok, i missed out a minus sign :redface:

I didn't catch the minus sign, either. I guess what you were doing was equating operators. I think that's what threw me--having the operator without an operand for it to work on.

Pomico said:
The equation in my first post isn't the full equation, just the first term. I don't think the rest will change anything but in case I've added an attachment of the lecture - the derivation I'm working from covers mostly pages 3 and 4 of the document. I don't know how to just include these two pages so sorry for adding the whole thing!

D'oh! I was right! :rolleyes:

You're referring to equations (2.26) and (2.27) …

but you can see that (2.26) is divided by sin2θ before the u-substitution, so then it does start with 1/sinθ !

Aah yes I see, thanks for spotting that :p
I'll have another go!

Edit: Got it, thanks again :)

Last edited:

FAQ: Differential equation and substitution

1. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that relates a function to its derivatives. It describes how a function changes over time or space.

2. What is substitution in differential equations?

Substitution in differential equations involves replacing one or more variables in an equation with a new variable or expression in order to simplify the equation or solve for the unknown variable.

3. How is substitution used to solve differential equations?

Substitution is used in differential equations to reduce a higher order equation to a simpler form that can be solved using known methods, such as separation of variables or integration.

4. What are the benefits of using substitution in solving differential equations?

Substitution can make solving differential equations easier by simplifying the equation and making it more manageable. It can also help to identify patterns and relationships within the equation that may lead to a solution.

5. Are there any limitations to using substitution in solving differential equations?

While substitution can be a powerful tool in solving differential equations, it may not always be possible to use it in every situation. Some equations may not be amenable to substitution, and in some cases, it may not lead to a solution at all.

Back