1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Differential equation and substitution

1. Aug 6, 2009 #1
    This is a step from my notes that I don't follow. I have sin[tex]\theta[/tex][tex]\frac{d}{d\theta}[/tex](sin[tex]\theta[/tex][tex]\frac{d\Theta}{d\theta}[/tex]) and that, when substituting u=cos[tex]\theta[/tex] and writing that [tex]\Theta[/tex]([tex]\theta[/tex])=P(u), [tex]\frac{d}{du}[/tex]((1-u[tex]^{2}[/tex])[tex]\frac{dP}{du}[/tex]) is obtained.

I can see [tex]\frac{d\Theta}{d\theta}[/tex]=[tex]\frac{dP}{du}[/tex] for the far RHS but can't get the 1-u[tex]^{2}[/tex] to come out. I don't really remember how to do this though I'm sure I have been able to at some point so a starting tip would be much appreciated! The main trap I keep falling in is the temptation to try something with chain rule to get rid of all those d[tex]\theta[/tex] bits in the original equation. I know I'm not supposed to as I'm just supposed to be substituting, not solving, but I'm not sure how else to go about it.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 6, 2009 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi Pomico! :smile:

(have a theta: θ :wink:)
    Using the chain rule, sinθ d/dθ = sin2θ d/du.

(but I don't see how to get the whole thing :redface: … are you sure it isn't 1/sinθ on the left?)

4. Aug 6, 2009 #3

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

tiny-tim,
    Maybe I'm missing something here, but the line above doesn't make sense to me.

Pomico,
    Is there really a need to use uppercase and lowercase versions of the same letter? I.e., [itex]\Theta[/itex] and [itex]\theta[/itex].

5. Aug 6, 2009 #4

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

hmm … u = cosθ, so du/dθ = -sinθ,

so d/du = dθ/du d/dθ = -1/sinθ d/dθ,

so sin2θ d/du = -sinθ d/dθ

… ok, i missed out a minus sign :redface:

6. Aug 6, 2009 #5
    Hi!
    It's definitely not a reciprocal in the notes, that was one of the things bothering me

Yes there is, this is only part of the problem covered in the notes. Earlier on there was a function F(θ,[tex]\phi[/tex]) which was split into variables as
    F(θ,[tex]\phi[/tex]) = [tex]\Theta[/tex](θ)[tex]\Phi[/tex]([tex]\phi[/tex])

The equation in my first post isn't the full equation, just the first term. I don't think the rest will change anything but in case I've added an attachment of the lecture - the derivation I'm working from covers mostly pages 3 and 4 of the document. I don't know how to just include these two pages so sorry for adding the whole thing!

Attached Files:

7. Aug 6, 2009 #6
    Try this. Consider the substitution [tex]\Theta(\theta)=P(u)[/tex]

You want to find [tex]\frac{d\Theta}{d\theta}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{d\Theta}{d\theta} = \frac{dP(u)}{d\theta} = \frac{dP(u)}{du} \frac{du}{d\theta}[/tex]

You can get [tex]\frac{du}{d\theta}[/tex] from your substitution of u=cos([tex]\theta[/tex]). Also sin([tex]\theta[/tex]) = "something with u", using a well known trig identity.

8. Aug 6, 2009 #7

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

I didn't catch the minus sign, either. I guess what you were doing was equating operators. I think that's what threw me--having the operator without an operand for it to work on.

9. Aug 7, 2009 #8

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

D'oh! I was right! :rolleyes:

You're referring to equations (2.26) and (2.27) …

but you can see that (2.26) is divided by sin2θ before the u-substitution, so then it does start with 1/sinθ !!

10. Aug 7, 2009 #9
    Aah yes I see, thanks for spotting that :p
    I'll have another go!

Edit: Got it, thanks again :)

Last edited: Aug 7, 2009
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook