Differential Equation first order help

In summary, the conversation is about solving a first order differential equation with the given form (dr/dt)^2=a/r^2+b/r+c. Suggestions are given on how to start solving it, including rewriting the equation in a separable form and integrating it. A hint is also provided on how to rewrite the left-hand side of the equation.
mlazos
Can anybody tell me what can be the solution of this differential equation?

(dr/dt)^2=a/r^2+b/r+c
Is first order and i need some ideas about solving it

Physics news on Phys.org
What have you tried? I'd suggest starting by multiplying both sides by dr/dt, and trying to get each side into the form d/dt(something).

This is a separable diff.eq. You may rewrite it as:
[tex]\frac{rdr}{\sqrt{a+br+cr^{2}}}=\pm{dt}[/tex]
This can be readily integrated, yielding an implicit equation for the function r(t).

you are right,
the answer was obvious.i guess i need to rest a little. thank you guys.

Last edited:
As a hint, you ought to rewrite the left-hand side as:
[tex]\frac{rdr}{\sqrt{cr^{2}+br+a}}=\frac{dr}{2c}(\frac{2cr+b}{\sqrt{cr^{2}+br+a}}-\frac{b}{\sqrt{cr^{2}+br+a}})[/tex]

Sorry, I thought that was d^2/dt^2.

1. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between a function and its derivatives. It is used to model many real-world phenomena in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

2. What is a first-order differential equation?

A first-order differential equation is a differential equation that involves only the first derivative of the function. These types of equations can be solved using analytical or numerical methods.

3. How do you solve a first-order differential equation?

There are several methods for solving first-order differential equations, including separation of variables, integrating factors, and substitution. The specific method used depends on the type and complexity of the equation.

4. What is the importance of first-order differential equations?

First-order differential equations are important because they are used to model a wide range of natural phenomena, from population growth to chemical reactions. They also have practical applications in fields such as engineering and economics.

5. What are some applications of first-order differential equations?

Some common applications of first-order differential equations include predicting population growth, modeling the spread of infectious diseases, analyzing circuits in electrical engineering, and determining the rate of chemical reactions.