Differential Equation: Is it appropriate?

In summary: If you have initial conditions, you can solve for the three constants to get a unique solution.<snip> ... and the fact that the factor of (1/3) is associated with an exponential and my factor of (1/3) is associated with a constant only.
Saladsamurai

Homework Statement

y''' + 2y'' - 3y' = 0

I solved the above using the following, where D is the differential operator:

D(D - 1)(D + 3)y = 0

Let u(x) = (D + 3)y

Hence,

(D2 - D)[u(x)] = 0. This 2nd Order in u(x), linear, homogenous with constant coefficients. Hence the solution given by characteristic equation is (from lambda = {0,1}):

u(x) = C1 + C2*exp(x)

Plugging this result back into the factorized DE:

(D + 3)y = C1 + C2*exp(x)

y' + 3y = C1 + C2*exp(x)

which can be solved by integration factor:

y(x) = (1/3)*C1 + (1/4)C2*exp(x) + C3*exp(-3x)

Checking with Wolfraalpha gives:

y(x) = (-1/3)*C1*exp(-3 x)+C2*exp(x)+C3

which looks similar to mine, but is a little off. Namely the negative sign and the fact that the factor of (1/3) is associated with an exponential and my factor of (1/3) is associated with a constant only.

Any thoughts on this?

Also: Would it be appropriate to simply write (1/3)*C1 as just plain old C1? that is, can't I just "absorb" all of the numerical coefficients into the parametric coefficients?

thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
If wikipedia solved it the same way, with the D operator, then something went wrong. You can however, rewrite constants such as 2c as C1 instead to make things easier to read and write.

rock.freak667 said:
If wikipedia solved it the same way, with the D operator, then something went wrong. You can however, rewrite constants such as 2c as C1 instead to make things easier to read and write.

I'm sorry, but could you clarify? I have no idea what algorithm Wolfram uses to solve it's equations. Are you thinking that I screwed up along the way? I think that's what you are saying.

Saladsamurai said:
I'm sorry, but could you clarify? I have no idea what algorithm Wolfram uses to solve it's equations. Are you thinking that I screwed up along the way? I think that's what you are saying.

No no, what I am saying is that you said Wolfram's answer had (1/3)C1e-3x and your answer has (1/3)C1e-3x

w.r.t Wolfram's answer, you can just write -C1 as another constant, say 'A' giving (1/3)Ae-3x.

Which is in the same form as yours.

You can rename your arbitrary constants and absorb constant multipliers into them.
A exp(-3x) + B exp(x) + C

All are equivalent but you may get different forms with those extra multipliers depending on your order of integration. The software packages are not always smart enough to absorb multiplier of arbitrary constants. Once they pick the constant its just another variable.

You really shouldn't have those fractional constants together with the subscripted constants C1, C2, and C3. They're not wrong, but they don't add anything useful.

Your solution should look something like this: y = C1 + C2et + C3e-3t.

Also, you can go directly from the characteristic equation (here in factored form), r(r - 1)(r + 3) = 0, to your linearly independent solutions.
y1 = e0t = 1
y2 = et
y3 = e-3t

The general solution of your differential equation is the set of all linear combinations of your three linearly independent solutions; namely y = C1 + C2et + C3e-3t.

If you have initial conditions, you can solve for the three constants to get a unique solution.

Saladsamurai said:
<snip> ... and the fact that the factor of (1/3) is associated with an exponential and my factor of (1/3) is associated with a constant only.

rock.freak667 said:
No no, what I am saying is that you said Wolfram's answer had (1/3)C1e-3x and your answer has (1/3)C1e-3x

w.r.t Wolfram's answer, you can just write -C1 as another constant, say 'A' giving (1/3)Ae-3x.

Which is in the same form as yours.

Hi rock.freak :smile: Actually, the problem was that my (1/3)C1 is not attached to an exponential at all. However, Wolfram's is.

Maybe I should just stop checking my answers with Wolfram and do it the old fashioned way. :smile: I thought it would be a way to speed things up a bit, but it seems to be raising more questions than it answers.

Thanks again!

Saladsamurai said:
Hi rock.freak :smile: Actually, the problem was that my (1/3)C1 is not attached to an exponential at all. However, Wolfram's is. [...]
That's only because you and Wolfram chose different names, permute Wolfram's C1, C2, and C3 names.

1. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that describes how a certain quantity changes over time. It involves the use of derivatives to represent the rate of change of a variable.

2. How are differential equations used in science?

Differential equations are used to model and understand various phenomena in science, such as population growth, chemical reactions, and the motion of objects. They are also used in engineering and economics to analyze and predict behavior of systems.

3. Is it appropriate to use differential equations in all situations?

No, differential equations are not appropriate for all situations. They are most useful for describing continuous systems that change over time. Discrete systems, such as counting objects, can be better described using other mathematical tools.

4. What is the difference between ordinary and partial differential equations?

Ordinary differential equations involve a single independent variable, while partial differential equations involve multiple independent variables. Ordinary differential equations are often used to describe one-dimensional systems, while partial differential equations are used for higher-dimensional systems.

5. Are there any real-life applications of differential equations?

Yes, there are many real-life applications of differential equations. They are used in physics to describe the motion of objects, in chemistry to model reactions, and in biology to analyze population growth. They are also used in engineering to design structures and systems, and in economics to study market trends.