What is the Solution for Differential Equation Task 7?

In summary, the equation y=(1/4)tsin2t satisfies when y'=(1/4)tsin2t. As t increases, y and y' approach zero but eventually diverge.
mathi85
Task 7
Show that y=(1/4)tsin2t satisfies equation

d2y/dt2+4y=cos2t

Find the general solution and deduce the solution which satisfies y(0)=0 and y'(0)=0. What happens as t increases?

Solution

In the end I stay with:
y=Acos2t+Bsin2t+(1/4)tsin2t

dy/dx=-2Asin2t+2Bcos2t+(1/2)tcos2t+(1/4)sin2t

After applying boundary conditions I get:
0=0

What does it mean and what happens as 't' is increasing? I was asked to plot a graph.

Physics news on Phys.org
mathi85 said:
Task 7
Show that y=(1/4)tsin2t satisfies equation

d2y/dt2+4y=cos2t

Find the general solution and deduce the solution which satisfies y(0)=0 and y'(0)=0. What happens as t increases?

Solution

In the end I stay with:
y=Acos2t+Bsin2t+(1/4)tsin2t

Yes, it is the general solution of the differential equation. Now you have to choose A and B so that both y and y' is zero at t=0.

mathi85 said:
dy/dx=-2Asin2t+2Bcos2t+(1/2)tcos2t+(1/4)sin2t

After applying boundary conditions I get:
0=0

What does it mean and what happens as 't' is increasing? I was asked to plot a graph.

0=0 does not mean anything. What are A and B if y(0)=0 and y'(0)=0?

Substitute zero for t in y=Acos2t+Bsin2t+(1/4)tsin2t, what do you get? Do the same for y'.

You have to plot the y(t) graph for t>0.ehild

I get that
A=0

How can I find B?

If B equals 0 as well then the graph will look like a Christmas tree.

But why would B equal 0?

But this is simple!
I had some brain freeze...
Thanks for help!

Simple, isn't it? y'(0)=0, so -2Asin2t+2Bcos2t+(1/2)tcos2t+(1/4)sin2t=0 and A=0, 0=2Bcos(0) -->B=0.
Yes, the graph looks like a horizontal Christmas-tree:smile:

ehild

Related to What is the Solution for Differential Equation Task 7?

What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that relates a function to its derivatives. These equations are used to model change and are commonly used in the fields of physics, engineering, and economics.

What is the purpose of Differential equation Task 7?

Differential equation Task 7 is a specific problem or exercise that involves solving a differential equation. These tasks help students practice their skills in solving and analyzing differential equations.

What are the different methods for solving a differential equation?

There are several methods for solving a differential equation, including separation of variables, substitution, and integrating factors. The method used depends on the type and complexity of the equation.

What is the importance of solving differential equations?

Solving differential equations is important because it allows us to model and understand real-world phenomena such as population growth, chemical reactions, and electrical circuits. It also has applications in many fields, including physics, engineering, and economics.

What are some common applications of differential equations?

Differential equations have a wide range of applications, including analyzing and predicting natural phenomena, designing and optimizing systems, and understanding complex systems in biology, economics, and finance. They are also used extensively in engineering and physics.