Differential Equation with Vector Product

In summary, the speed of a particle in an arbitrary magnetic field is constant, regardless of the field's acceleration.
debis
If a particle with charge e and mass m is in an arbitrary magnetic field has motion described by:

[tex]m\frac{d^2\vec{r}}{dt^2}=\frac{e}{c}\frac{d\vec{r}}{dt}\times\vec{H} [/tex]

prove that the speed [tex]v\equiv\left\vert\frac{d\vec{r}}{dt}\right\vert[/tex] is constant.

I don't understand how to do this when the field isn't necessarily constant.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Vector Product Differential Equation

If a particle with charge e and mass m is in an arbitrary magnetic field has motion described by:

[tex] m\frac{d^2\vec{r}}{dt^2}=\frac{e}{c}\frac{d\vec{r} }{dt}\times\vec{H}[/tex]

prove that the speed [tex] v\equiv\left\vert\frac{d\vec{r}}{dt}\right\vert [/tex] is constant.

I don't understand how to do this when the field isn't necessarily constant.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

i posted this elsewhere here but after browsing the site i thought this was a more appropriate place to put it...

Does it specify a variable or constant field?

The fact that the speed is constant means that any acceleration is involved in changing the direction rather than tangential velocity.

Astronuc said:
Does it specify a variable or constant field?

The fact that the speed is constant means that any acceleration is involved in changing the direction rather than tangential velocity.

it just says arbitrary, so I'm assuming it means it could be variable or constant (it's definitely not reliably constant because the next question is "assuming the field is a constant")

i tried using circular motion with it for the constant speed, but i didn't understand how to apply it using vector products in differential equations.

I would start by finding

[tex]\frac {d}{dt} \left| \frac{d \vec r}{dt} \right|[/tex]

Then you should be able to show, from your available equations, that the above expression is zero.

Note that in general, the vector v x H is always perpendicular to v. This should be enough to prove what you want.

what happens if you take the dot product with dr/dt?
to the right side? (should get 0).
to the left side? (do you recognize a complete derivative?)

qbert said:
what happens if you take the dot product with dr/dt?
to the right side? (should get 0).
to the left side? (do you recognize a complete derivative?)
I don't see how that helps, don't you get 0 on the left hand side as well since a vector and its derivative are perpendicular?

A vector and its derivative are NOT necessarily perpendicular. That is true only if the vector has constant length- which is what you are trying to prove.

i tried to find [tex]\frac{d}{dt}\left\vert\frac{d\vec{r}}{dt}\right\vert[/tex] but i don't know how to handle a diff eq with a vector product in it - i understand in theory how proving all the above mentioned things would work, my main question was how to handle a cross product in a differential equation... i looked in all my textbooks and on all sorts of websites and nothing helped.

For the question in the original post, qbert (post #6) has given, in my opinion, the best hints.

ah yes, i got it.
i was so caught up in the diff eq part of it i forgot about simple vecor analysis. i always make things more complicated than they are :/
thank you so much everyone for your help, particularly qbert, your hint really helped :)

Last edited:
Here you can find the answer of your question
http://www.iop.org/EJ/abstract/0953-4075/42/5/055504/
this Is Stimulated Raman adiabatic passage analogues in classical physics
or here in the arxiv
http://arxiv.org/abs/0812.0361

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between a function and its derivatives. It is used to model and predict the behavior of systems that involve rates of change.

2. What is a vector product?

A vector product, also known as a cross product, is a mathematical operation that results in a vector perpendicular to two given vectors in three-dimensional space. It is used to calculate the direction and magnitude of a vector that is perpendicular to a plane formed by two vectors.

3. How are differential equations and vector products related?

Vector products are often used in differential equations to model systems with multiple variables and rates of change. They can help to determine the direction and magnitude of change in a system, which is crucial in solving differential equations.

4. What are the applications of differential equations with vector products?

Differential equations with vector products have a wide range of applications in physics, engineering, economics, and other fields. They are used to model and analyze complex systems, such as fluid dynamics, electromagnetism, and population dynamics.

5. Are there any real-world examples of differential equations with vector products?

Yes, there are many real-world examples of differential equations with vector products. One example is the Navier-Stokes equations, which are used to model the flow of fluids such as air and water. Another example is Maxwell's equations, which describe the behavior of electromagnetic fields.