Differential Equation Homework: Solving 1000(dp/dt) = p(100-p)

In summary, the conversation is about a person seeking help in solving two differential equations, one involving a change of variables formula and the other involving separation of variables. The solution to the first equation is given as p= 200/(2-e^-0.1t). The conversation also mentions using partial fractions and integrating both sides of the equation. The solution to the second equation is suggested to be found by setting h=0 and solving the ODE.
Illusionist

Homework Statement

Hi, I've been trying to solve the differential equation 1000(dp/dt) = p(100-p), but have had no luck so far.

Homework Equations

I think this requires using the change of variables formula.

The Attempt at a Solution

Basically I've tried putting everything involving the dependent variable p, which lead me to [1000/(100p-p^2)]*(dp/dt)=1. I then tried to differentiate both sides but this is where I seem to become stuck. I know the answer is p= 200/(2-e^-0.1t) but can't get to it because of the integration.

I'm also having similar problems with the question dP/dt=P(1-0.01P)-h. Thanks in advance or any help or tips.

Physics news on Phys.org
Just try separation of variables.

[tex]
1000\frac{{dp}}{{dt}} = p\left( {100 - p} \right) \Rightarrow \int {\frac{{dp}}{{p\left( {100 - p} \right)}} = \frac{1}{{1000}}\int {dt} }
[/tex]

For the second one, set h = 0 and solve the ODE. Then solve dp/dt = -h and add the two solutions.

Yeah I got that far but I am having trouble differentiating the RHS of the equation.

do you remember integrating partial fractions? If not you should look it up. The right side looks pretty straight forward to me. Integrating it should be one step process. I don't know why you say RHS is a problem.

The next step following from what was in my last post would be to integrate both sides. The integral of 1 with respect to t is just t and the integral of (p(100-p))^-1 is fairly easy once you split it into partial fractions.

Of course, don't know what I was thinking. Sorry. Thanks a lot.

1. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between an unknown function and its derivatives. It expresses how the rate of change of the function is related to the function itself.

2. Why are differential equations important?

Differential equations are important because they are used to model and describe various phenomena in science and engineering, such as motion, heat transfer, and population growth. They allow us to make predictions and solve problems in these areas.

3. What are the different types of differential equations?

There are several types of differential equations, including ordinary differential equations (ODEs) which involve a single independent variable, and partial differential equations (PDEs) which involve multiple independent variables. ODEs can be further classified as linear or nonlinear, and PDEs can be classified as elliptic, parabolic, or hyperbolic.

4. How are differential equations solved?

Differential equations can be solved analytically or numerically. Analytical solutions involve finding a general solution using mathematical techniques such as separation of variables or substitution. Numerical solutions involve using computers to approximate the solution by breaking the problem into smaller pieces and solving them iteratively.

5. What are some real-world applications of differential equations?

Differential equations have numerous real-world applications, including predicting the weather, designing control systems for robotics, modeling the spread of diseases, and optimizing financial investments. They also play a crucial role in fields such as physics, chemistry, biology, and economics.