1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Differential Equation

1. Apr 15, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Hi, I've been trying to solve the differential equation 1000(dp/dt) = p(100-p), but have had no luck so far.

2. Relevant equations
    I think this requires using the change of variables formula.

3. The attempt at a solution
    Basically I've tried putting everything involving the dependent variable p, which lead me to [1000/(100p-p^2)]*(dp/dt)=1. I then tried to differentiate both sides but this is where I seem to become stuck. I know the answer is p= 200/(2-e^-0.1t) but can't get to it because of the integration.

I'm also having similar problems with the question dP/dt=P(1-0.01P)-h. Thanks in advance or any help or tips.
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 15, 2007 #2
    Just try separation of variables.

1000\frac{{dp}}{{dt}} = p\left( {100 - p} \right) \Rightarrow \int {\frac{{dp}}{{p\left( {100 - p} \right)}} = \frac{1}{{1000}}\int {dt} }

For the second one, set h = 0 and solve the ODE. Then solve dp/dt = -h and add the two solutions.
  4. Apr 15, 2007 #3
    Yeah I got that far but I am having trouble differentiating the RHS of the equation.
  5. Apr 15, 2007 #4
    do you remember integrating partial fractions? If not you should look it up. The right side looks pretty straight forward to me. Integrating it should be one step process. I don't know why you say RHS is a problem.
  6. Apr 15, 2007 #5
    The next step following from what was in my last post would be to integrate both sides. The integral of 1 with respect to t is just t and the integral of (p(100-p))^-1 is fairly easy once you split it into partial fractions.
  7. Apr 15, 2007 #6
    Of course, don't know what I was thinking. Sorry. Thanks a lot.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?