1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Differential Equations model

1. Oct 8, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Model for learning in the form of a differential equation:

[itex]\frac{dP}{dt}[/itex]= k(M-P)

Where P(t) measures the performance of someone learning a skill after training time (t), M is the maximum level of performance, and k is a positive constant. Solve this differential equation to find an expression for P(t). What is the limit of this expression?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I think I am doing this problem the correct way. However, my textbook uses a different method. Would you be able to confirm if I am do this correctly?

dP=k(M-P)dt
    [itex]\frac{dP}{M-P}[/itex] = kdt

[itex]\int\frac{dP}{M-P}[/itex] = k [itex]\int dt [/itex]

for [itex]\int\frac{dP}{M-P}[/itex] let u=M-P, du=-dP

-[itex]\int\frac{1}{u}[/itex] du= -ln|M-P|

-ln|M-P|=kt+C
    ln|M-P|=-kt-c
    e^(-kt-c)=|M-P|
    [itex]\pm[/itex]e^(-kt)*e^(-c) =M-P
    [itex]\pm[/itex] e^(-c) is a constant so call it A
    M-Ae^(-kt)=P(t)
    as t→∞ P→M

The book does something different. At the very start they say: [itex]\int\frac{dP}{P-M}[/itex] = [itex]\int -kdt [/itex] and get a final answer of: P(t)= M+Ae^(-kt). Are these answers equivalent because we can just say -A is another constant?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 9, 2013 #2
    So then it would be: let -A=D

M+De^(-kt)=P(t)

4. Oct 9, 2013 #3

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Per PF rules, you shouldn't bump a thread earlier than 24 hours after you post it. If you need to make a change, just edit your post.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted