• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Differential equations

Main Question or Discussion Point

Unfortunately I am unable to fit a first course in differential equations into my schedule, therefore I have opted to self study the said course. I am looking for a textbook appropriate for an introduction into differential equations that isn't too ambiguous to tackle on my own. I am an EE major wanting to expand my knowledge in quantum mechanics on the side (the amount of quantum mechanics for my degree is minute, so I am self-teaching what I can.)

Answers and Replies

Also, any other math textbooks that will aid with quantum mechanics is appreciated

I thimk that Dover publications would suit you pretty nicely. Search for their books on ODEs (tanenbaum) and PDEs (farlow). As for QM, you could use Zettil, Ballentine or Griffiths. A search in the forum's previous threads would be a good option too :P

Ross, Differential Equations. It has a very nice blend of theory, simply solving DEs and applications. I think his chapter on solving ODEs with power series is especially instructive.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0471032948/?tag=pfamazon01-20

I just got a used hardcover cause it is pricey otherwise.

Last edited by a moderator:
One more thing: I was under the impression qm dealt a lot with statistics/probability, however, the majority of undergraduate qm courses dont require a statistics course as a prereq. Why is that?

Last edited by a moderator:
jasonRF
Science Advisor
Gold Member
One more thing: I was under the impression qm dealt a lot with statistics/probability, however, the majority of undergraduate qm courses dont require a statistics course as a prereq. Why is that?

Because quantum mechanics only uses very simple aspects of probability theory, so it is easily covered in class.