1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Differential equations

1. Sep 15, 2012 #1
    Unfortunately I am unable to fit a first course in differential equations into my schedule, therefore I have opted to self study the said course. I am looking for a textbook appropriate for an introduction into differential equations that isn't too ambiguous to tackle on my own. I am an EE major wanting to expand my knowledge in quantum mechanics on the side (the amount of quantum mechanics for my degree is minute, so I am self-teaching what I can.)

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 15, 2012 #2
    Also, any other math textbooks that will aid with quantum mechanics is appreciated

4. Sep 16, 2012 #3
    I thimk that Dover publications would suit you pretty nicely. Search for their books on ODEs (tanenbaum) and PDEs (farlow). As for QM, you could use Zettil, Ballentine or Griffiths. A search in the forum's previous threads would be a good option too :P

5. Sep 17, 2012 #4
    Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  6. Sep 17, 2012 #5
    One more thing: I was under the impression qm dealt a lot with statistics/probability, however, the majority of undergraduate qm courses dont require a statistics course as a prereq. Why is that?

7. Sep 17, 2012 #6
    Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  8. Sep 17, 2012 #7

jasonRF

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Because quantum mechanics only uses very simple aspects of probability theory, so it is easily covered in class.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook