Self-Study Differential Equations: Textbook for EE Major

In summary, The person is unable to fit a first course in differential equations into their schedule, so they have decided to self-study it. They are looking for a textbook that is suitable for self-study and also want recommendations for other math textbooks that can help with their interest in quantum mechanics. They are recommended to look at Dover publications for books on ODEs and PDEs, as well as Zettili, Ballentine, and Griffiths for quantum mechanics. One person recommends Ross's Differential Equations book and another suggests using Zettili and Shankar for quantum mechanics. The person also asks why statistics is not a prerequisite for undergraduate quantum mechanics courses, to which it is explained that quantum mechanics only uses basic probability concepts
sandy.bridge
Unfortunately I am unable to fit a first course in differential equations into my schedule, therefore I have opted to self study the said course. I am looking for a textbook appropriate for an introduction into differential equations that isn't too ambiguous to tackle on my own. I am an EE major wanting to expand my knowledge in quantum mechanics on the side (the amount of quantum mechanics for my degree is minute, so I am self-teaching what I can.)

Physics news on Phys.org
Also, any other math textbooks that will aid with quantum mechanics is appreciated

I thimk that Dover publications would suit you pretty nicely. Search for their books on ODEs (tanenbaum) and PDEs (farlow). As for QM, you could use Zettil, Ballentine or Griffiths. A search in the forum's previous threads would be a good option too :P

Ross, Differential Equations. It has a very nice blend of theory, simply solving DEs and applications. I think his chapter on solving ODEs with power series is especially instructive.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0471032948/?tag=pfamazon01-20

I just got a used hardcover cause it is pricey otherwise.

Last edited by a moderator:
One more thing: I was under the impression qm dealt a lot with statistics/probability, however, the majority of undergraduate qm courses don't require a statistics course as a prereq. Why is that?

Last edited by a moderator:
sandy.bridge said:
One more thing: I was under the impression qm dealt a lot with statistics/probability, however, the majority of undergraduate qm courses don't require a statistics course as a prereq. Why is that?

Because quantum mechanics only uses very simple aspects of probability theory, so it is easily covered in class.

1. What are differential equations?

Differential equations are mathematical equations that describe how a quantity changes over time. They involve derivatives, which represent the rate of change of a quantity, and can be used to model real-world phenomena such as population growth, motion, and electrical circuits.

2. Why is self-study important for learning differential equations?

Self-study allows students to take control of their own learning and work at their own pace. This is especially important for a subject like differential equations, which requires a strong understanding of calculus and a lot of practice. By studying on their own, students can spend more time on challenging topics and review material as needed.

3. Is this textbook suitable for electrical engineering majors?

Yes, this textbook is specifically designed for electrical engineering majors. It covers topics that are essential for understanding and solving differential equations in the context of electrical engineering, such as circuit analysis and Laplace transforms.

4. Are there any prerequisites for studying differential equations?

Yes, a strong understanding of calculus is essential for studying differential equations. Students should have a solid grasp of concepts such as derivatives, integrals, and basic differential equations before diving into this subject.

5. How can I use this textbook to improve my understanding of differential equations?

This textbook provides a comprehensive and accessible introduction to differential equations, with clear explanations and plenty of practice problems. By reading and working through the examples and exercises in this textbook, students can improve their understanding of the subject and develop their problem-solving skills.